i want to hear you say it

prompt: #89, "i want to hear you say it."

It had been a week since the three words had left Steve's mouth, only to hang a burden over top of your relationship. Ever since that Tuesday night at the basketball game, your heart had been dropped into your stomach and been doing backflips and front flips constantly. You could tell that Steve had regretted saying it, by the way he would look at you anytime you'd come into direct eyesight. Every time you would leave for class, or hang up the phone, there would be an awkward silence before the more awkward goodbye. He hadn't said it since that night, but deep down you were hoping that those three words would appear on his lips once again.

Hawkins High boys' varsity basketball team had won championships, claiming them State champs, and Steve was the happiest you'd ever seen him. A grin was spread wide across his face as he lifted you into his arms, spinning you around.

"Your boy is a state champ!" he cheered happily as he set you down, placing a kiss on your lips. You smiled against his lips, kissing him back.

"You played amazing," you said after he pulled away. He tucked a stray piece of hair behind your ear as you smiled up at him, locking your eyes with his.

"I love you."

Your face dropped at the three words, along with your stomach. This was unexpected, to say at the least. "W-what?"

"I love you..." he lowered his voice, dropping his hands from your waist. You took a step back. "Y/N-"

Suddenly, a swarm of students surrounded you and Steve as he was pulled away from the team. Quickly after, you found your best friend whom had accompanied you to the game. You left the school with her, only to climb into your bed and stay up all night thinking about Steve and the words he had said to you that night. Maybe it was in the heat of the moment? Maybe he had been meaning to say it and finally spat it out? Whatever the reason was, you were confused on what your reply would be.

"Are we going to talk about this?" your boyfriend of nearly four months said to you as you stood at your locker, grabbing your things for the next class. Chemistry. After your silence, Steve sighed. "Y/N. It's been a week. Say something."

"I don't know what to say."

"Okay, that's a start," he nodded and you closed your locker slightly. You looked into his eyes and he sighed again. "Listen, you don't need to say it back. Just tell me that you don't and I will leave you alone. I just need to know, Y/N."

"I'm not saying that I don't!"

"Why not?"

"Because I'd be lying!" immediately, you slapped your hand over your mouth. Steve's lips curled up into a grin as you fell back against the hard metal lockers. The bell rang over the two of you but neither of you cared, seeing as you stayed.

"Okay."

You sighed.

"Say it."

"Excuse me?" you looked at the boy who ran a hand through his hair.

"I want to hear you say it."

You sighed once again and stood up straight. "I need to get to class," before you could leave, Steve whirled you around, grabbing your waist. You bit your lip and looked down at your sneakers. Quietly, you mumbled a response of some sort. "I love you."

"What was that?"

"I love you!"

"I love you too."