I'll Protect You | Todd Hewitt

so obviously this is gonna be difficult because women aren't in Prentisstown, so we're gonna make this an AU where the reader has replaced viola (but the reader is from another town, not from another world)

(sorry for the wait!) requested by harryspr1ncess

//

You didn't know anything about the boy you ran into in the woods. All you knew was, by the look on your face, he knew that your town was taken over by the same army that was chasing him. You saw it all in his Noise.

He didn't oppose to you travelling alongside him. It was just you and his talkative dog, rationing scraps of food from your pack, sleeping under the stars, praying that the army of murderers wouldn't find you.

Days went by as you walked, ran, and scavenged the woods. You hid in towns and slept by river banks. Todd would either talk your arm off or keep his mouth shut all day.

You liked it better when he talked to you.

You weren't sure when he started to have feelings for you - feelings where he saw you more as a friend, as the only person he could trust, rather than a stranger from the woods. But he started caring for you, and it wasn't long before you slept curled against his side, him using his arms as pillows in the grass, trying so hard to keep his Noise down so danger couldn't find him in the night.

"I'll protect you, Todd Hewitt," you would murmur, eyes closed, and he would smile.

It was the only time he smiled.

...

"I'm goin' to get water," you said, picking up the empty bottle beside Todd's booted feet.

He leaned over and swiped his knife from where it was, lodged in the crevice of a broken log, and started to get up.

Manchee lifted his head and perched his ears. Water? he asked in his Noise.

"No, guys, stay," you said. You smiled. "Really, I'm okay. Watch camp."

Todd gave you an uncertain look. "I don't like leaving you," he said.

"I'll be right back," you promised. "I'm so close, you'll be able to hear anything that happens."

Todd slowly nodded. "Okay. Go. But I'm listenin'!"

You smiled wider. "I know you are."

You disappeared through the trees, listening to his Noise all the way. It was filled mostly with concern for you - which was enough to send your heart into a frenzy.

Todd was sitting in the grass, knees to his chest, fiddling with the knife between his fingers. Manchee was snoring, his Noise just hazy flashed of squirrels and Todd and you and running.

He wasn't sure why he didn't hear it. Maybe it was because Manchee was thinking of you and it kinda set off his own daydreams, but he didn't pay attention-

And he looked too soon-

And he saw the hand holding the rock and registered it smashing his skull, knocking him over, and he heard the yelp from Manchee-

And he forced his eyes open and felt warm breath by his ear.

"Who's that girl you're thinkin' about, boy?" Aaron asked.

And he felt a surge of fear overcome him before everything faded away.

...

Todd! Todd!

His eyes opened. He forced himself off his stomach and onto his side, and then sat up. His head throbbed-

And he heard it again.

"Todd! Todd!"

"___," he whispered, looking into the direction of the voice. "___!"

Manchee was getting up with a lot of struggles, his scruffy, thin legs shaking with the work it took. Todd helped him and placed a hand on his back.

"We gotta go, boy. We gotta go while I can hear her-"

"Todd! Todd!"

"___!" he screamed. He couldn't help it, and his Noise was screaming in, anyway. He gripped his knife tight in his hand and ran, his breath coming up short, his chest full of fear, his heart thumping loud-

"Todd!"

You were so close. He could hear you and hear Aaron's Noise. He kept on, repeating in his head that he was a man. He was a man-

"Todd - help me-"

And he saw you, as he broke through the trees. Aaron was walking, you were on the ground, and he had a fistful of your hair. You called out in pain as he dragged you.

Get off of her! his Noise screamed. Get away from her get away from her get away-

Aaron turned around and smiled. You looked at Todd, tears streaming down your face that was covered in bruises.

And Aaron dropped you, your head hitting hard against the ground, and ran off. Boy, his Noise said, and that was it.

Todd didn't give it much thought. He ran to you, dropping to his knees and pulling you into his arms. Your scalp was bleeding and you were so bruised-

"Yer gonna be okay," he said, pressing your face to his chest. "Yer gonna be okay, I promise-"

You cried and clung to him, shaking violently.

"I'll protect you," he whispered. "I'll protect you, ___ ____."