Chapter Ninety-Two

Kane's torso emerges from my Divine mirror, and then the rest of him. A power surge of dark energy throws Cato off his feet. "I tried to find you earlier, but Cato kept hiding you from me. He wanted to leave you as a corpse on my door to really obliterate me, most likely."

Kane rises from the ground, pulling me to my feet. I steady myself against him, feel the power thrumming beneath his skin, take some for my own future battles. He kisses me again for good measure, eyeing an enraged Cato who's scrambling to his feet from Kane's assault. "Hello, love." He repeats, throwing me a scimitar and unsheathing his own. Ratu and Arno scramble to their feet, facing off against the stream of Empire soldiers running into the bathhouse, brainwashed into serving their new god-king.

"Kane." I squeeze his fingers tight. "Joon-am, my life."

A few ghûls scramble forth from the mirror to help Arno and Ratu beat back the tide of mindless soldiers running in to save their leader. Arno kicks one soldier into another. Ratu is slashing like a whirlwind, blades flying so quickly I can't keep track.

Kane beside me, still. Tense. One eye pitch-black without any white surrounding, the other the blood-moon. My own, single Divine eye glows alongside his.

My life.

"How precious," Cato spits, eyes blazing with the power of the sun. His weapon flies into his hand, a true beast in battle, and when his blade makes contact with Kane's, there's a heat so intense that it feels like the sun's fallen to the earth.

Kane stumbles, unbalanced. Unthinkingly, I throw myself in front of him.

"No!" Kane cries as Cato's weapon comes barreling towards me. I lift my scimitar over my head to block...

I scream. The sun's burning heat flows over my entire body, concentrating over my spine as though my spine's been set aflame. I crumple to the ground.

"Kane," I screech in pain, "my legs... I can't feel anything. I can't feel my legs."

"It's okay, love. It'll be okay."

Cato snickers. "What? Worried she won't bear you children now, brother?"

Kane's entire face burns in horrific shadow. He faces Cato, and the two gods clash.

"Forget something, brother?" Cato laughs, "You can't kill me. Not while I drain that weak mortal Emperor's life force."

Drain his life force? That must mean...

Hacking horribly, fluids building in my charred lungs, I turn towards that mysterious white box covered in runes. The priest that was wailing hymns behind it is dead, killed in the scuffle. Seeing it with my Divine eye, I look through it and see a brilliant life force glowing within it. A body containing all the rightful power of the Empire of Rahasia, a body of a tattooed prince who once owned the sun.

Elio... he's draining Elio.

And all of Rahasia's magic with it.

"The white box!" I hack up more blood as Ratu and Arno glance concernedly over me, a lull before more soldiers come rushing in. "He's got Elio trapped in the white box!"

Cato laughs. "Look, your witch is whining to get your attention. Did you train her to act like a puppy, or was she always naturally a bitch?"

"You talk too much, fool." Kane grits his teeth, keeps fighting. "I'll cut your tongue from your body!"

Night versus day. The moon attacking the sun. The Queen of Thieves is nearing exhaustion, bodies at her feet. Arno is in military form, screaming until sound dies in his throat.

And the little fox known as Ode? I wriggle like a worm, but my legs refuse to obey. Where is she?

I watch it all numbly, wanting to just drift away. Wanting to sleep forever.

They always leave this part out in the legends. They don't tell you what it's like to die. Not as interesting as the traitorous lovers and the backstabbing brothers, I'd bet.

I watch the battle rage without me, how Kane and Cato look like their battle will never end until the sun sets on the Rahasian Empire and everything turns to ash. Yet, I want it all to end. The pain has me near blacking out.

And then, I do black out.

Darkness.

So comforting.

Just going to take a little nap.

"ODE!"

Who's screaming at me?

"ODE!"

Not now, I'm sleeping.

Pain across my cheek. Somebody is slapping me awake.

***

Champions,

I wonder who's trying to get Ode to wake up and not go towards the light.

Best

Sophia

***

Addendum:

GUYS, WE ARE NUMBER 16 IN FANTASY. I REPEAT, WE ARE NUMBER 16 IN FANTASY.

I'D LIKE TO THANK ALL MY AMAZING READERS WHO GOT ME HERE. (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!) I'D LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE WHO'S NEW AND JUST JOINING THE CHAMPION ARMY. I'D LIKE TO THANK RAHASIA AND BEYOND.

YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST!

Ahem, caps lock frantic gratitude is over now.

Just know you're amazing.

Give me ideas for fluff scenes you guys want written after I finish this novel and mark it complete, and you guys got it.

Best,

Sophia