6. BLOODTHIRSTY ROOMMATES AND A VAMPIRE TOO!

I think Headmaster Crumpet is saying something important, but I'm not paying much attention because Pierce has also noticed Shelly. How could he not, when she's gawking at him like a moray eel? And I don't think I've mentioned she's wearing a minuscule black 'skirt' and a black leather bustier. Her golden-green hair is in a ponytail, exposing her neck like a vampire invitation. Her long legs are bare, and she's practically falling out of her top. Some girls are so desperate, it's pathetic.

Applause punctuates the smoke-filled room as Crumpet introduces each teacher.

I have to warn Pierce about Shelly's predatory ways. Even an evil bloodsucking denizen of the night doesn't deserve to be stung by her vicious tentacles. I wave my arm in front of Pierce's face to break their eye contact. He doesn't turn his head, but I can see his smirk. "Jealous, Waverly?" he whispers.

Maybe I won't help him.

"Poseidon's beard," Shelly says. "His body! Those dimples! Wow!" She's practically drooling. I'm thankful that at least he's wearing a shirt.

I decide it's better to listen to Crumpet than Shelly, so I try to block her thoughts. This is when I hear Crumpet saying something about student cabins being completed right on schedule, thanks to a generous donation from Brack Sharkweather. The room breaks into excited applause as Mr. Sharkweather, Shelly's father, strides in wearing black jeans, a cowboy hat and boots, and a red plaid shirt, which is an obvious kiss-ass move. He makes his way toward the front, shaking hands with people along the way like the politician he is—I mean was. He used to serve on the Merfolk Council but got kicked out for some hush-hush reason.

Wait! Cabins? This is when it sinks in. West Marin Heights is a boarding school, and no one thought to mention this to me before? "Boarding school? What in Hades?" I say telepathically to my dad in my best indignant tone.

"If you paid attention, you would know." He's shaking his head and frowning. He doesn't say anything about me using an expletive because I've trained my parents to 'choose their battles' with me. I find that if I make a big deal about enough things, they can't keep up the energy to fight on that scale. They're pretty old, and they've already raised sixteen fingerlings before me; this is where I benefit from being the youngest. My siblings have eroded their resolve like water wearing away at rocks.

"You're saying you told me it was a boarding school? Because I'm sure I would have heard that."

"Yes, Wave, I did."

"You're going to let me sleep in a cabin with vampires?"

I look over at Pierce. Something is amusing him because he's smirking again. I really hate it when he does that, even if it shows off his dimples in a really adorable way.

Pierce laughs and turns his head to look at me, his dark blue eyes sparkling with mischief. "And what's wrong with that, Waverly?"

"What's wrong with what? I didn't say anything," I insist, but inside I'm totally freaking out. Did he hear what I said to my dad? Holy sea cow.

He shrugs and leans in to whisper in my ear, which—despite the hot room—causes goosebumps to prickle up my neck. "I am full of surprises," he whispers. I pull away. Cannot have him that close to my carotid artery! Pierce smirks that annoying smirky smirk of his. I can tell that this smirk is going to get old fast.

And Poseidon's beard! He has more secrets? Then again, what in Hades do I really know about vampires? So far, my preconceptions are all wrong. I didn't know they could fly. I didn't know they wore plaid. I didn't know they liked poetry. So how would I know whether or not they're telepathic?