Chapter 9: Shimmer

Virgil's eyebrows scrunched in concentration as he discerned the history lesson textbook before him. It was his final lesson on learning the meritocracy system and he felt a burning enthusiasm to finally get past this part of his lessons; he had wanted to finally move onto more advanced healing techniques and researches. After a few long minutes, he had finally finished reading the last of the current sovereign's transcript of his coronation speech. Virgil almost felt the urge to throw the textbook into any ungodly place, but instead opted to close the book, breathe out, and stretch.

As he stretched, he caught a glimpse of Velloa who was currently in her second body. For whatever reason, she had opted to sit under the shade of a certain bunch of flora on the floor of the greenhouse to read her book. Ever since a year ago, after she had come to use the family's forbidden art, Virgil had noticed that her behaviour had somewhat changed. What was previously a younger sister who was on the fast track to being considered a 'spoiled brat', was now a younger sibling whom he had come to be much more comfortable with. He would have thought that Velloa had turned more adult-like, but he realized that that description wasn't quite correct. Instead, her behaviour was rather more controlled. She would still act as childish as one would expect from a child her age, but he couldn't help noticing certain times where her reactions and behaviour were almost too 'good' for a young child. For example, the way in which she had smoothly humbled herself after having learnt to read so quickly, insisting that it was all due to the teacher's great methodology. Virgil thought to himself... Firstly, any child her age would have been filled with pride after the number of compliments that was given, and secondly, I highly doubt that the teacher had taught her large words such as "methodology". After the results of her magic test and the fact that she revealed herself to be quite a fast learner, it was not that hard to pick up that Velloa was a genius.

Virgil contemplated that perhaps the realization of the weight in having inherited the Imitheos family's forbidden art had moved something within her. Regardless, Velloa's change in behaviour was appreciated. Just as Virgil was about to call for some iced tea, he watched as an azure-coloured tropical bird landed on Velloa's folded knees, the young 'boy' let out a small surprised yelp – only to smile softly and caress the feathers under the bird's beak with a finger. He chuckled silently, the bird was a gift from their Father after returning from one of the Great Kingdoms located in this world's largest archipelago.

After calling for some iced tea from the butler on standby Virgil sat by his younger sibling. "What are you reading, Vain?" Virgil had finally gotten used to calling Velloa as such whenever she was in this body.

Velloa opened the book wide to show an illustration of a female water magic user fighting off a horde of demons, however, rather than the liquid being coloured a normal blue, it was a haunting colour of deep red. "The Legend of the Crimson Empress. I like it. Even though everyone is scared of her, she still stays a good person and keeps on doing things for the sake of her kingdom."

Virgil placed a hand on the young boy's head. He knew this story, it was also one of his favourites. "It's quite sad though..." He commented.

Velloa flipped a page as she spoke. "I know, but that doesn't make it a bad story. Even though she means well, her people are scared of the power of her technique, so she abdicates the throne to someone well trusted and seals away her technique so that no one else could use it... She must really love her kingdom."

Virgil hummed. "I do believe that that story originates from the same place this bird comes from... Ae-aea is the country's name; it's one of the four Great Kingdoms. Apparently, that's where Gaea's greatest water elementalists are born."

Glancing at her brother, she makes a somewhat random remark. "I want to go there one day."

Ruffling the head of hair his hand had rested on, Virgil smiled. "I'm sure that if you follow Father's footsteps then you would have a lot of opportunities to do so."

Velloa blinked at his statement. "I guess I wouldn't mind that."

As we sat at the table for dinner, Father had announced that there was an invitation sent by the Imperare (sovereign). Apparently, in a month's time, a celebration in the royal palace will be held to commemorate the current ruler's tenth year on the throne. As a result, many of the royal family's closest associates are invited... Including their families. Both Mother and Father were formally invited, and so, by extension, Virgil and I are included.

"Me too?" I said dumbfoundedly.

Doesn't that mean that I am at least incredibly likely to meet Prince Kai?! I took a deep breath, carefully trying not to show my concern.

"Of course, my child." Mother reassured. Suddenly, she clapped her hands together. "That's right! This should be Velloa's first time in front of his majesty! Because many of the families are offering a performance as part of their gifts to the Imperare, shall we have Velloa present a dance along with Virgil and Cain?"

I was stunned.

"I am sure that can be arranged." Ana said as she served Mother a cup of tea.

Mother glanced at Father who simply nodded. "Wonderful! I look forward to your performances, my children." She said with an innocent smile.

Motheeeeer! How could you?!

It was weak, but I managed to let out a word of agreement to Mother's words. I really am not feeling assured right now. I didn't think that I would be likely to meet any of the other love targets so soon. I tried to distract myself by continuing to eat the braised pork that we were served for dinner. No! Let's not be so negative. It's a large event, there are going to be a lot of people, the Imperare and his family will most likely be too busy talking to other people anyway! With those thoughts, I was able to calm down and enjoy the rest of my dinner.

But why is it that I feel like I am missing something? In the end, I let the thought go just as dessert was served. Oh! Lemon cheesecake!

Later, I would realize too late that I had failed to remember both Mother and Father were close to the royal family. Which was especially due to the fact that their roles were that of the Kingdom's Spymaster and Royal Researcher.

----------CHAPTER END----------

(In case no one notices, there's a time skip in this chapter)  

Word Count: 1140    

I really wanted to get things moving so I did the time skip. What did ya'll think? In any case, see ya'll next chapter! :)