Chapter V

Act I of Devotion: Love

Chapter V: My Youth Is Yours

"At that day of beautiful sunlight by the sea, she said farewell to her prince. She was going to see him again, yes. But they would not be anything other than friends. That farewell paved the road for a future that Leila Lannister would dread for the rest of her life."

- Maester Maekar, Chapter III of the White Queen.

  295 AC

A FEW MONTHS AFTER THE DUEL

THE VIPER'S KEEP

 SUNFIRE

LEILA HAD NEVER THOUGHT SHE WOULD EVER BE HAPPIER THAN  SHE ALREADY WAS. Being with Oberyn and just the two of them, it had been heaven on earth with nothing coming between it. Oberyn had ensure that Leila was happy at all costs for every day after that day, to make up to her for scaring her during their betrothal and as well as the fact that Leila was insulted by one of his family's bannermen. Leila, being the kind benevolent woman Oberyn saw in her, said that it was alright. She cannot truly please everyone in Dorne. Some would hate her truly and hiss at her. Some would like her and allow her to be their princess. It was how the world worked. Some will love you, others will hate you and there was nothing she could do about it.

Oberyn just felt like it was his own fault for not being able to control Yronwood. And for the fact that lord Yronwood's inflamed fury came from the very fact that he had been because he had slept with his wife and then paramour years before. And all his mistakes led to him putting Leila in the crossfire and he hated that. He hated seeing her hurt, hated seeing her pained. He loved her smile and he would kill to see that smile always on her lips. 

She continued to say it wasn't his fault but he was fairly certain he had faults. But she assured him that it was all in the past and he had not met her yet at the time and she did not mind for he had a past like she did. And it did not bother her so long as he loves only her now. And she could see it as the days and nights passed that Oberyn loved only her and not in her life would she doubt that. Not when his heart speak truer than anything she had ever known in her life.

Leila finally saw her estate when she and Oberyn undertook travel around some houses as they made their way to Sunfire. After the events that passed in Sunspear, Oberyn wanted to ensure that in the new year he would take his beloved away from the capital and far away where the two of them can get some time for themselves. 

Oberyn was insistent to his mother that after what Leila suffered, he'll not allow her to be unhappy again. And so, Oberyn decided that they should go through the country without people knowing who they are, knowing Leila and him shared the desire to be unknown to many. He didn't like being easily recognized nor does his beloved. She likes the privacy as much as she loves public life.