Chapter VI

Act I of Devotion: Love

Chapter VI: The Gods Gave Me A Rare Man And I Loved Him Well.

"One of the many things the White Queen had told me as a child was how she had held her love for Prince Oberyn all her life. Regardless of what had come between them. I asked her how could she love so much when one only has one heart. She chuckled and said,

'I don't need a many hearts to love others. I need a big heart. For when the gods give you these people in your life, you don't ask why they were sent. But I realized too that it is because love is rare in the world I dwell in, child. One can never truly live without an inch of love and so I loved him. The gods gave me a rare man and I decided that I shall love him well.'

One will pity a woman who had such affection for others.

She suffered for them more than one would hope. Leila Lannister had deserved more than that.

-Master Maekar, Chapter III of the White Queen

THE OUTSKIRTS OF SUNSPEAR

A WEEK LATER

LEILA LANNISTER FELT TIRED AS SHE GOT OFF HER HORSE. She smiled tiredly at Mors Manwoody as he gave her his hand to hold, her body relying on his strength as Oberyn eyed them from the distance of his mount. They had been travelling non-stop through the sceneries of the Dornish lands since a week before after they had received a summoning to the court of Oberyn's mother, the Princess of Dorne.

As soon as they settled the matters there in Sunfire and left Oberyn's own personal Maester as Castellan until they returned from Sunspear. The three quickly arranged the travel as soon as they got changed and packed up clothes in sacks which they neatly tied to the side of their saddles. They did not bring too much, only enough for them to change into when the weather becomes humid and sweat takes over. They brought provisions enough for the three of them, lasting at least two weeks. They brought enough gold and silver in order to find a suitable place to rest in at night. And they were unlucky, they brought a tent with them so that they may be able to rest their bodies for the night at the very least before riding out again in the morning.

The entire trip was that of nervousness and fear of the unknown. Leila most especially felt that feeling most of all. Loreza Martell wrote the letter herself, signed and sealed on her own and not with the help of any of her ladies. She never did that unless it was of personal and deep importance. But that was not the thing that worried Leila most. She feared what the letter contained when it arrived to them in Sunfire.