15 ¦ Vengeful Quest

Autumn had faded to winter, and final exams had crept upon me like a Minningen wildcat stalking its prey. Even skimming the texts didn't help me keep up with all my required reading. With a groan, I slammed my Wizardry book shut and shoved it away from me, scattering my notes.

"I'm never going to understand astronomy."

Peter cocked his head and reached out for my hand. "How about an academically approved break? I know the perfect place to observe stars and planets."

"Where?"

"The Astronomy Tower," he replied, his eyes twinkling. "It'll be cold, but the sky is clear tonight, so it is the perfect time to observe. I specialized in the subject, and I can answer any questions you have."

Impressed, I exhaled a puff of air. "Is there anything you can't do?"

"Yes," he said. "I have weaknesses like any man."

"Such as?"

He smirked as he packed his bag. "I'm going to revel in this godlike perfection you think I have for a little while longer."

I gave him a pointed look until we both began to chuckle, and I gave him a playful jab in the ribs. "Come on, Peter. Let's go watch the stars."

Because it was cold, we jogged across campus on the gravel path. I slipped on some ice, and Peter caught me by the arm. We laughed, our breath ascending in white plumes.

"One moment," he said.

Peter unclasped his black leather jacket, shrugged it off, and draped it over my shoulders. After I put my arms through the sleeves, he gazed at me with a critical eye.

"Why does it look better on you?" he asked, cocking his head.

"You're crazy," I replied, staring at the sleeves. My hands didn't even reach the ends. "It's three sizes too big."

When we had approached the wrought iron door, Peter pulled out an old rusty key from his back pocket and unbolted the massive door. It swung open with a loud creak and for a second, I was sure that the noise would have reached the ears of security guards patrolling nearby. To my great relief, we snuck inside without them noticing, and Peter sealed the door shut behind us.

"Ignite," he whispered, and a flame flickered to life inside his palm.

Peter and I ascended the narrow circular staircase until we reached the uppermost level. Twelve large metal scopes peered through twelve arched viewing areas covering three hundred and sixty degrees of the stone dome.

Racing to one of the telescopes, I gasped in astonishment when I saw a star cluster. "My gods, Peter, why don't they teach Astronomy here?"

"You can see the rings of Thalia," he replied, adjusting the telescope. "Just look through the eyepiece."

Resting on my haunches, I stared through the lens. It transformed a tiny pinpoint of light into a giant blue sphere with white and gray rings.

"It looks like it's dancing," I said, astonished.

"It's atmospheric interference," he replied. "It makes stars look like they're twinkling."

"Is there a logical explanation for everything in the universe?"

"Rational laws explain the behavior of stars, planets, suns, and moons and almost everything else in the universe." Peter pursed his lips as he stared into the starry night. "But even our best Wizards can't explain the hearts and minds of men."

His face fell, and his melancholy rolled off of him in waves. When I reached out to him, Peter took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, interlacing his fingers with mine.