The Sect

"How did you know Harlan? " Madam Regina redirects the spirit, gently pushing her for more information. Intimidated by the mention of Harlan's name, Katherine withdraws into the darker recesses of the room.

"He's dangerous! You must beware. He's always close by." Her tremulous voice wavers, as if she's frightened Harlan might be nearby, threatening her again in the afterlife.

"Where? You mean here?" Anxiously, I peer into the darkness, expecting to see Harlan's face appear next to mine. The atmosphere of the room changes as it charges with ozone. Nervously, we all scan the room, but Madam Regina urges us to stay focused, "Remain calm.  Remember, nothing can enter this circle if we don't acknowledge it."

She addresses the ghost again, "Katherine, if you truly want to be free of him, then you must help us!" With encouragement, the ghost flutters closer to our circle, a moth drawn towards an evening porch light. Emboldened, her voice grows stronger. She seems relieved to finally be sharing her story with us.

"Jason, was in a cult. I found out the last night I was alive."

"Who was in a cult?" I ask her. Madam Regina nods to me to continue with my questions.

"My husband, Jason."

"What kind of cult?" I ask the spirit.

"I don't know, but it was evil. They worshipped the Devil. When I found out, we fought about it. I was going to divorce him." She hesitates, refusing to go any further for the moment.

Suddenly, I'm angry.  This poor woman was terribly wronged. Despite all her wealth and kindness, her murder was covered up.  Katherine was unloved in life, and now she's being tormented in death. I try to offer her a different perspective, "Katherine, I was at the cemetery every day this summer. I never saw your husband visit you once, or leave flowers at your grave sight. Don't protect him if he killed you to inherit all your money. Especially, if he didn't love you. Tell us what happened!"

My earnest plea seems to go unheard for a few minutes. Then as if drawing energy from our encouragement, Katherine's wavering voice grows stronger as she continues her story.

"He came home and we had drinks that night. I grew drowsy...."

He drugged you?

"Yes, I remember now. When I came to, there was someone else in the room, a man with dark hair. He slit my throat."

"The same dark haired man who was in the cemetery, the day you warned me to run? That was you, I mean your voice in the cemetery wasn't it? You saved my life!"

"I didn't want you to get hurt." Her ghostly voice wavers with emotion, her aura going from blue to a pearly white.

"Katherine, I can't thank you enough for protecting me."

With a sigh, the ghostly image starts fading. So quietly, it's like a candle flickering at the end of its wick before sputtering out.

I turn to Dylan and Jerry. "We have to figure who was that dark haired creep in the cemetery. We have to stop him before he kills again."

Nodding in silent agreement, Jerry looks thunderstruck the seance worked. "I'll pull Katherine's file and have the case reopened."