Insecurities - Revali

Requested by RiverDea

(Pre Ganon)

"For goodness sake, I know I look weird! Just shut up about it!" I shout at the bunch of idiots picking on me for being an interspecies. It's really rare for someone like me to be found. Most half Rito-half Hylians don't live past twelve. But I definitely have. Me being around about twenty, I've invisibly set the record for a Rito and Hylian interbreed age. Besides, I don't feel like anything is wrong with me meaning that I might die in about 3 years... But I'm not exactly interested in thinking that. 

"Fifth stage of grief!" One kid shouts, flinging rocks at me. "Acceptance!" 

"Yeah! You know what, I'm more accepting that you could ever be, you ass hat!" I shout back. 

"The only ass hat here is you, you misfit!" Another kid shouts. They have some nerve to be picking on someone older than them. I really could just swoop down and claw their eyes out... But I have more decency than that. 

"Shouldn't you be doing something else than basically provoking a human hawk?" I screech down at them. I think they're a bit more pissed off now, because they start flinging rocks at me. I'm generally swift in the air, so it's easy for me to maneuver away from the bad aim. But by some mystical fluke, a large rock manages to hit my wing that is helping keeping me in the air. The sudden force hits me around, causing me to be knocked to the ground. 

"Harpy!" 

"You don't belong!" 

"What's even your deal!" 

"You should be dead by now!" 

The pests crowd around me on the ground and start calling me more names. One even has the audacity to kick me. That was the last straw. 

"ENOUGH!" I jump up from the ground, holding onto my sore wing with my other. Even with my injured arm, I manage to catch a wind draft and ride it to the nearest village, which is my home town, Rito village. 

"See you next time, misfit!" One kid calls. 

I continue to fly, but I'm so wrapped up in my thoughts that I don't realize I'm flying in circles. The idiots haven't seen me flying around so incompetently at least, but I need to rest. I find a tree near by and perch on a sturdy branch. I'm not really bothered by them, but an unfamiliar voice draws my attention to the jerks that always pick on me. Apparently they're Hylians, but they look more like the love children between Bokoblins and lizards. 

The voice says in a reserved voice: "You know, you really shouldn't go around picking on people. Particularly pretty girls,"

(Sorry if you identify as something else. You can try and translate it to match you)

"That thing? That harpy isn't pretty. If anything, she's ugly!" One kid shouts, as though trying to make sure I hear it. 

"I wouldn't be saying that. Or else you might have to deal with the Rito Champion," The voice says. I lean forward on my perch to get a better view. The Rito Champion, Revali? He's the guy that has mastered the art of creating an upward draft. Didn't he call it something like Revali's Woosh? He's also one of the best Rito Archers. If not, the best. 

"Revali?!" One of them cries. 

"Yep, that's me alright," Revali replies. One kid screams. I laugh, nearly falling off the branch. 

"Could you describe what she looks like?" Revali asks the now shaking jerks. 

"She's got (F/C) bird wings for arms and bird legs but she has a Hylian upperbody," The middle squeaks. 

"I see, an interbreed. Fascinating. Now be gone with you. Scat. I don't want to see you sentient Bokoblins around," Revali shoos them off with his wing, giving them a slightly pretentious glare. They deserve every word and glare of it, though. I'm also gonna have to use the insult sentient Bokoblin next time. 

My stomach suddenly growls with hunger. I spot an apple that's hanging on a branch near my head. I reach with my good wing but it's a little further than expected. I try and lean forward to reach, but I only end up tumbling forwards and out of the tree.

I hit my head on a rock when I come in contact with the ground. Letting out an indignant screech, I rub my head once I'm sitting up. It catches Revali's attention, because when I finally open my squinting eyes, he's standing directly above me. 

"Are you alright, ma'am?" He asks, holding out a feathered hand to help me up. 

"Thanks... Yeah, I'm good. Those kids won't shut up about me being quote unquote 'different'," I grumble, dusting off my tunic. 

"May I ask for your name?" He asks once I'm properly up on my feet.

"(Y/N)," 

"(Y/N)... Has a nice ring to it. Those fools are often picking on people to help make up for their self confidence. Unfortunately, you're an easy target because there's not many like you. I'm regretful to say it, but I can understand where they're coming from with the self confidence, but it is wrong to take out their pain on you," He says with a pitiful tone. 

(Revali was saying that he can understand why they have self confidence issues, not why they what they would be picking on you for. Just wanted to clarify.)

"Thanks, but I don't really want your pity. I know there's not many like me whatsoever, but those oafs can seriously lay off," I clutch my injured wing because it's still pulsing with pain. 

"You've really taken a beating. I don't know if you will be able make it back to Rito village, though. You can ride on my back. It's fine," He turns around and kneels down, allowing for me to get onto his back.

"Thanks for this," I say once I'm holding onto his shoulders. His feathers are really quite soft. 

"No problem. I've been feeling like I should help someone recently. I saw you being picked on and decided I could help you," He says with a proud tone. I can't help but laugh at how pretentious he's acting.

After a lengthy ride back, we finally land in Rito village by sundown. Revali says he'll be quick to grab some bandages to wrap up my supposedly broken arm. My mind aimlessly drifts through today's events. I remember that Revali mentions something about him understand why they would be picking on me for their self confidence issues. Once he's back, I ask him about what he was talking about.

"It's nothing," He says at first, looking away once he finishes wrapping up my arm.

"You can tell me, it's safe with me," I place a hand on his shoulder. He seems to be in a bit of pain.

"Truth is, I'm not the most confident person out there. I may act like it, but I really feel insignificant compared to the other champions. Particularly that kid with the sword that seals the darkness. I really just want a chance to prove myself, but I rarely get the chance. I'm not sure why I'm telling you this, but I think you'd be able to understand," He says, watching Hebra peak glisten, reflecting the final sunrays before nightfall. 

"Yeah. I also may not act like it, but I can't fit in and it makes me so self conscious. It's hard to relate to because there is so little people out there like me. I've never met another person like me, so I'm starting to think that I'm kind of alone in this whole thing called life," I mumble, gesturing with my hands that I've more or less given up. 

"You don't need to feel that way. We can make it through this together," Revali glances over at me with a small grin. 

"You don't need to feel sorry for me," I laugh slightly. 

"Whatever. I'm not going to let you be alone with this," He jokes back. 

"Well, maybe you could teach me Revali's woosh?" 

"It's Revali's Gale, excuse me." 

"Alright, Mr. Woosh."