I'll have a look

(Samuel's POV)

"We'll do it in the morning," I said. "No need to worry about this now." She was worried though. Way too much. She didn't give any vibes of acceptance. That was a problem. Perhaps kissing Belle would give her the necessary incentive. Heck, I would not be surprised if she burned me to ashes then! The thought made me smile.

"Not doing it, Sam. This is insane."

"Fine," I said. There was no arguing over it tonight. I wanted to do other things. More enjoyable things. But, I realized there was something that tempted me as much. Talk. I wanted to talk to her, I wanted to know more about her. How strange was that? Was it a virus, was it the expectation of being stuck in an endless time loop, was it the daily dose of possession by a dark shadow, was it the blood sharing, I didn't know. But, the itch was there. It needed scratching.

"You said you liked walnut cookies. Who baked them for you? Who is Mrs.Robinson?"

"Sam you don't need to show me proof anymore. I know the damn loop exists."

Had I struck a chord? Emotions zapped all over her in a frenzy. Interesting. That piqued my curiosity.

"I know. But I want to know. Won't you tell me?"

"Fine." It sounded anything but.

I took her hand and led her to bed. She followed meekly. There was not one meek bone in her body...hmm, it all was getting more and more interesting. She was like a puzzle to me. I needed to solve her, understand her.

"She was Jenny's mother. Jenny was my best friend. I stayed with them after my parents died. That's it."

That sentence was laden with meanings. I didn't know what to make of it. I also couldn't believe we had that in common. She had lost her parents. So had I.

"When did your parents die?"

"I was 11."

"No siblings?" I asked, hoping she would deny my words.

"No."

That was crazy. She had been left all alone in the world. No parents, no siblings. "Were you happy there?" I touched her hair, brushing it with my fingers. Up and down, up and down. Her aura softened. I loved doing this. How crazy was that? Her hair was so soft underneath my fingers, I could do this forever.

"Yes, I loved it. But then Jenny died and I left." I didn't even notice that my fingers had tensed, I didn't want to hurt her. I was shaking. With rage. Had they made her leave? The only family she had?

"Did they ask you to leave?"

"No...no nothing like that. They were wonderful, really they were. But after Jenny, none of us was the same. And, I didn't want..."

Sorrow dressed her in bleak colors. "You didn't want what?"

"Nothing." Her memories opened cracks in her violet core like a damn earthquake.

"Baby," I said.

"It's nothing."

It sure didn't sound so. Repeating it a thousand times wouldn't make it so. "Diana," I said, kissing her softly on the forehead. She shivered at the touch. "Tell me," I urged her. "You didn't want to see them? You didn't want to remember the pain? What was it?"

I kissed her eyelids.

"Please, " she begged as if saying would remind her of things best forgotten. The cracks were like thunder streaks, opening deep wounds in her core. How much did that hurt? I wanted to stitch them together so badly, I almost tried a sewing motion. But, I didn't know how. Not really. How did one stitch holes in a color?

"Di, you can tell me anything." I was so close to her, she was only a breath away. I wanted to kiss her so damn much, but I needed to listen to her heart's sorrow first. Then I would mend it.

"I didn't want anything to happen to them."

Okay, we were getting somewhere. "And, why did you think something was going to happen to them?"

"Because my parents died. Jenny died. I thought ..."

She had thought she was responsible. An 11 year old child. Alone, scared, carrying a load of guilt on her small shoulders. I wanted to rage with fury.

I leaned down, my lips found hers, I wanted to inhale her pain, soak the tears that were rolling from her cheeks. Each drop was like a needle on my skin, tormenting me like a thousand broken shards.

"It had nothing to do with you."

"I was just a kid." She laughed, but the laughter didn't have any colors, the sound belonged to a con artist. It was intended to fool me. Didn't work.

"And what do you think now?" I whispered, raining the kisses like a band-aid on her scars. It seemed to work. The cracks were filling up. Who knew stitching was that easy?

"I don't know."

"It wasn't your fault. You were just a small child. You couldn't do it even if you wanted to. You know that, right? You have no such powers."

"I know, right," she said.

Despite her words, she wasn't there yet, but I would get her there, in time. I would. Because she mattered to me.

"You bet." Another kiss. "Who took care of you afterward?"

"No one. I took care of myself."

The thought was like a knife in my gut. How did a small human child take care of oneself? "How?"

"My parents were rich."

As if that explained it all. Wait, what? Rich? Damn so all that time I paid her for the blood and thought I was doing her a favor, I was fooling myself.

"The money I gave you for blood?" I could barely form the words. I wanted to spit out the bitter taste in my mouth.

"I didn't cash it."

Probably my own cracks were showing up now. I needed her to kiss me. Urgently.

"I didn't need the money."

Of course, she hadn't. "Then why did you keep giving me blood?" It had been so easy to convince myself I was helping her out, that it was a simple exchange which benefited both of us that I had not even bothered asking her whether she wanted it or not.

"Because you needed it. And, I'm glad I did, now I do understand the craving."

I couldn't say anything. Not really. Ants were crawling inside my stomach. Slowly, painfully. It was a feeling of utter dread. What had I done?

There was no need to dwell on the past. I just wanted to keep filling her cracks with some loving. Lots of loving.

When I was about to do just that, she said, "Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Damn, of course, I couldn't. Not with these ears. They were like full of wax. Maybe they were. How did humans deal with such nonsensitized ears?

"There is someone outside. Walking down the stairs."

Okay, the only thing I heard was the beat of my heart getting ready to do some loving. I wanted to ignore her words. But, it was the middle of the night and there was someone else who could hear the shadows. I couldn't ignore it. But, maybe I could. Maybe it was better to deal with it in the next loop.

"Sam!" she urged me on.

"It might be Belle looking for me." That sounded like a good reason for why I shouldn't leave this bed.

"What if it's not?"

"Fine...fine. I'll go and have a look."

I forgot my laptop adapter in my office and I have very little charge left. So, this has to be it for today. Thanks for reading.

Alena