20. Competition

A/N OMG GUYS I'VE GOTTEN 20K READS!!!!!!! I can't believe that this book is this popular. I mean wow......I'm speechless. That's a first. Well thank you so much.

Ai Jei POV
I awoke to a strong arm wrapped around my torso and another around my shoulders. Liking the feeling of his touch, I snuggled deeper into Xi's - my husband's chest. I lay there for a few minutes, basking in the feeling of safety that came with Xi.

As the strong rays of the afternoon sun started to seep through the thin curtains that surrounded our bed, I decided that I couldn't lie around for much longer. Detaching myself from Xi's chest I sat up, only to be pulled back down into his chest. I looked up to see my husband's eyes twinkling back at me.
"Come on Xi! We have to get out of bed!" I said, giggling, when he pushed his head into the crook of my neck mumbling. I rolled out of bed, not caring about the obvious protest from my new husband. Just as Xi started to get out of bed, the imperial messenger arrived. With lightning speed, we dove back under the covers to hide our naked forms.

"I am sorry your highnesses," stated the messenger," but his imperial majesty wanted me to inform you that her imperial majesty's niece - Siwang- is coming to visit and find a suitable husband. She will arrived at around lunch time." The messenger slowly walked away from us, careful not to royalty his back as he could be punished heavily for disrespect.
I threw the covers off when he had finally left our presence. Deciding to dress formally for my first appearance as the official 3rd Princess, I hurried over to the mahogany chest in which my clothes were contained.
Finally I settled on a beautiful plum coloured dress which contrasted perfectly with my pale skin and dark hair and eyes. As for my hair I decided to leave it partially open with just one braided bun on the side. The bun I secured with a gold and turquoise hairpin- after much cursing, fiddling and wishing that the people of this time had hair elastics.
(A/N like the one in the media)

Overall I was pleased with my appearance, I decided not to wear any makeup and walked into the main bedroom where my husband awaited me. I gave him a once over, acknowledging how well cut his black robe was. Finally I looked up at his face to see that he was frowning at me.

" What is wrong?" I inquired, quite confused at his expression. I don't really care if he doesn't approve of what I'm wearing anyway. Motioning for me to stay there he ran off somewhere. Men, really! We are going to be late but oh well. A few moments later he came back holding a fresh with peony - which he tucked into my braided bun. As much as I appreciated the gesture, this was why we where going to be late!

" Thank you Xi, but we are going to be late!" I said already running out of our courtyard and into the carriage that was waiting to take us to the main palace. As we sat in the carriage I silently thought of what excuses we could make to explain why we were late. How about 'your majesty we could have been on time but your idiot of a son decided to go flower picking'? That would be accurate, however not really a good excuse. I was flung forward as the carriage came to sudden stop. Couldn't these people brake gently? I tried to stand up but a sharp pain in my ankle made sure that i fell back down again. Damn. I looked up to see a very worried Xi looking down at me.

"Let me help you!" He commanded even through he phrased it as if it were a question. Within seconds he had lifted Chevy me up and was carrying me as if I were a helpless damsel in distress. I voiced my displeasure only to get a sharp look from him, telling me to rely on him now.

I sighed in defeat as I was carried up the steps to the court where the emperor sat with his empress. I blushed hard as the stares of all present fell on us. I looked up at Xi to see that he wasn't bothered by the attention. Then I remembered that he had been raised in the court, whereas I had been abused since a young age and was just starting to rise in power. As we took our seats - next to the emperor - a young girl stood up and pointed at my husband and said something ridiculous.
"Imperial aunt I want him!"