Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Relieved to leave the Valsero house I tightened my arm with Wes's as I gave a small wave to Anna and Dominic who stood by the front door with the very adorable and pouty Noah at their feet, still upset that his uncle Wes didn't get a time out. Carrie sat perched at the window waving frantically with a smirking Ellie beside her, the reason for that smirk was the reason I was so relieved to leave!

After the sprinkler incident we entered the living room to find everyone scrambling off the windows like children being caught sneaking sweets before dinner, the sly smirks and winks Dominic sent Wes had my face beet red. Marbella wasted no time in calling her brother out for sending her daughter in with a message that basically said back off.

"I will not have you disrespecting me in my own home." she shouted, her cheeks taking a pink hue

"Chill mom." Ellie said in a bored tone as she flopped down on the couch beside a steaming Marbella

Wes opened his mouth ready to tell his sister off, I placed a calming hand on his chest silently asking him to remain silent "I apologize for offending you in any way I have but you haven't exactly been a dotting hostess either so I thinking we're at a stalemate."

"Excuse me?" she blinked confusingly at me, as if the language I spoke was foreign

"It's no secret you don't like me and it's for reasons you don't fully understand but the polite thing to do is treat me like a hostess would her guest rather than a warden to his prisoner."

The dark flush marring her cheeks darkened into a deep scarlet as her daughter snickered openly at her mother's embarrassment. My intention wasn't to offend Marbella further, I have listened to her all evening as she bashes me openly and taken those icy stares with my head held high but enough is enough. I am no ones punching bag and I certainly won't allow this stranger to attack me with facts that were truly fiction, mostly.

"Honestly you don't have to like me because after tonight I can confirm that the feeling is mutual but try to have some dignity and attempt to be civilized." I added a bit harshly as the rest of the family gawked at a beet red Marbella who stood to her feet and walked off

For the remainder of the evening Marbella remained unseen much to my relief but the scene I made wasn't forgotten by the other members of the house and certainly not by Ellie who smirked the remainder of the evening.

Pulling out of the long street Wes spared a quick glance in my direction "I haven't seen anyone stand up to my sister like that since Anna decide to move out."

The pride sparkling in his stormy blue-gray eyes tugged at a string close to my heart, tears to lodge themselves in my throat as I fought the sudden wave of emotions washing over me. Flashing a genuine smile I turned in my seat towards the window hoping to reel in these sudden emotions.

The drive back to our apartment was a quiet one; a comfortable silence that neither of us wanted to break nor was it necessary. Side by side we sauntered down the burgundy carpet the led to our apartments, neither Wes or I glanced at the other as we approached our doors. My heart sank as the part of this evening I dreaded most arrived, my disappointment clearly written in my face as I turned to face him and spot the identical expression.

"I had a lovely evening."

"Sprinklers and all?" he teased with one brow arched

My lips curved despite the crimson red blush staining my cheeks "Sprinklers and all." I confirmed

Shoving his hands into his front pockets he took a step forward, a mischievous glint shimmering in his eyes "I guess this is the part when I kiss you." he grinned