$ S I X $

Tongue Tied
~
January 2nd, 2019
New York, New York
Day After New Years

Vera's P.O.V.

12:18 pm.

"So at the party, there were these two guys. One of them is the guy you met yesterday." Lilly began as we were watching T.V. in the living room.

I nodded my head while scrolling through my discovery page on Instantgram. My humor has been terribly destroyed by memes. I'll laugh at the smallest things the internet has to share.

There was this one meme with this youtuber. She was singing on Geni, and the way she sang had the internet explode. A lot of people made edits to the original video to make it more hilarious. It was the highlight of my week.

"Are you even listening to me, guys?" Lilly asks which catches my attention.

I gulp and decided to stay still because I wasn't listening to her.

"No," Norah mumbles after I barely shook my head at Lilly's question.

I chuckle but quickly quieted down when Lilly shot daggers at me with her eyes.

"Sorry. I was thinking about-" I paused. If I tell her I was thinking about memes instead of listening to her, then she'll be pissed. "-about my work back in Los Angeles." I grin.

She squints at me. "And you were smiling about it?"

I purse my lips before nodding. "I love work. You know that. I love working so much." I lie with a soft uncomfortable grin set on my lips.

Lilly rolls her eyes. "Okay. There's no point for me to go on. No one's even paying attention to me." She sighs as she throws her arms gently in the air.

I glance at the T.V. where we played Polar Express. Norah was really into movies, as always, but I never understood this movie ever in my life. I never got the plot behind it.

Have you seen the memes on the Polar Express though? It's hilarious. It was about that one conductor with the mustache.

Poor guy. I couldn't imagine being a train conductor, especially if the passengers were screaming little children. I don't know how he does it. I'm glad I am a fashion designer's assistant instead of being a babysitter on a train to wherever it was supposed to go.

Even being an assistant was tough. I always liked fashion, but my father never approved. His main goal was selfish, and he never cared for my dreams. It was as if he thought that since I was conceived; that it was his decision for everything in my life like I had no purpose.

Not being around him for a few years had made me confident for who and how I am. I was proud of where I was standing on my own.  I've gotten rid of most of my fears, and I felt accomplished.

Sitting here on this plush sofa, gazing out the window into the big city, I wondered how will I go back to Los Angeles, now that everyone has eyes on me?

"Vera?" Lilly calls out.

I shake my head a little bit before my eyes finding Lilly's. "Yeah?"

"I called your name like five times."

I furrow my eyebrows, mumbling a 'sorry'.

She shrugs. "It's fine. I was just wondering what has work got you thinking so much? You keep losing focus like you're in another world, or something." She says as she's opening her fruit parfait she must've got from the fridge while I zoned out.

I sigh. "Not just work, I guess."

She gave me a confused expression. "What do you mean?"

"We can't go back home," I mumbled.