Conspiracy

After three cups of strong peppermint tea and a lengthy talk, Hagrid accompanied Lena back to the castle. When they said their goodbyes, Lena returned to her common room while Hagrid climbed the stairs to the Headmaster's office.

"Albus," he panted heavily as he flung the door open.

"No," Remus responded nonchalantly, closing the book he was reading. "I'm waiting for him, too, but he should be here shortly. He's in the dungeons with the bat."

At that, Hagrid frowned disapprovingly. "You know, you should stop calling him that. It's disrespectful."

"Oh please," Remus laughed. "We're talking about Snivellus. He can take it."

Hagrid grunted but decided to drop it. Instead, he took a seat on a couch in the corner that was way too small for him. After lots of struggling, he managed though to make himself somewhat comfortable.

"So why do you want to speak to Albus? Did something happen?" Professor Lupin was obviously more than curious.

"Not really," Hagrid said while trying to find a good place to store his umbrella. "Just a personal matter." Finally, he just hooked the handle of the umbrella over the armrest.

Now Remus was all ears and eyes. He carelessly threw the book onto the tiny end table next to his chair and leaned with his elbows on his thighs closer to the gamekeeper. "Personal, huh?"

"Yep." Hagrid nodded. "About your student, actually."

"My student?" The professor straightened his back in surprise, raising an eyebrow. "Which one?"

"Lena." The armrest hadn't been a good choice for the umbrella after all, since with a dull plop it dropped down to the floor. It's owner sighed in annoyance and bent down to pick it up.

"Ms. Flowers? Is something wrong with her?"

"No, she is fine," Hagrid reassured him, laying the umbrella on a shelf that was mounted on the wall, directly over his head. "For the most part."

"What does that mean, for the most part? Come on, Hagrid, do I have to squeeze it out of you?"

The half-giant regarded Remus with a doubtful look. "I'm not sure if I should tell you."

"Hey," Lupin dramatically put a hand on his chest. "I'm her teacher, I should know when something is wrong with my student, don't you think?"

Hagrid contemplated that for a minute, then eventually nodded. "I guess you're right."

"So, spill!" Remus apparently really couldn't wait to hear the girl's secret.

"Well, it's nothing major." Hagrid shifted uncomfortably in his seat, the couch was definitely not designed to hold a man of his size. "She's just love sick."

"Oh," Lupin exhaled a little disappointed. He must have expected something more exciting. "Boys that age always act like idiots. She'll get over it." His voice suddenly sounded incredibly bored and he picked his book back up, flipping through the pages to find the paragraph he had read last.

"No, not a boy. It's Severus." In that moment, the umbrella rolled off the shelf, hitting Hagrid painfully over the head. "Ouch!"

"Excuse me?" Remus stared at the Keeper of Keys as if he were a green Martian with purple spots.

"Shouldn't have told you, I guess." Hagrid rubbed his hurting scalp. "Suits me just right."

But it was too late. He couldn't take his words back now.

Remus grinned, pointing at the man opposite from him. "You're funny. Almost got me there."

"No, he's right." Professor Dumbledore remarked as he entered the office, strolling over to Fawkes to pet him.

"That..." Lupin swallowed hard, having a difficult time comprehending the news. "That can't be true."

The gray wizard turned around to face him. "And why not, Remus?"

"It's Snape," he laughed, as if that was explanation enough. "Old Snivellus. The strange loner everyone picked on back in school."

"Not everyone," Hagrid reminded him sternly.

"No, not everyone. But he managed to even run her off."

The Headmaster raised his hand to stop his colleague's rant. "I think we all know the story, Remus. And it's been a long time. Let it go."

"Why would I?" He crossed his arms over his chest, almost pouting. "He doesn't."

"Listen to yourself!" Albus scolded. "You sound like an infantile five-year-old, not like the professor and the role model you're supposed to be."

Hagrid nodded furiously, silently supporting the wise wizard's words, which earned him an angry glare from the DADA teacher.

"Fine," Remus sighed. "I'll let it go. For now. So, tell me, how does a beautiful young lady such as Ms Flowers fancy greasy old Snivellus?"

"That's what you call letting go?" Dumbledore grew impatient. "But if you must know, she's been in love with him for quite some time now. I've noticed it right away. It's so obvious I'm surprised you haven't figured it out by yourself."

"If it's that obvious," Remus shot back. "I assume Sniv... I mean Severus knows, too?"

Albus and Hagrid briefly glanced at each other before shaking their heads in unison.

"Of course not." Professor Lupin snorted disdainfully. "He wouldn't notice it, if it bit him in the..."

"Enough!" Dumbledore's eyes glistened with anger. "You might have your problems with him, but I won't tolerate you insulting Severus in my presence. As far as I'm concerned, he has been nothing but loyal, he is always the first to help whenever there is an issue. He might be a bit grumpy, but if you had grown up under the circumstances he did, I doubt your attitude would be any different. He's had a lot of tragedy to endure, and I do think it is time now he found some happiness." His eyes softened and he smiled at Hagrid. " So, what was it you wanted to talk to me about? "

"Sir, in fact, I came to see you for exactly that reason. When the two of them were in my hut earlier, I did get the impression that Professor Snape is actually quite smitten with Lena."

Now Albus' smile widened into a mischievous grin." Well then. It's settled. We're going to give our gloomy friend a little push." He looked at Lupin expectantly. "Remus?"

He sighed defeatedly, flailing his arms in surrender. "Oh, whatever."