Thinking out loud

(Matilda's POV)
   Today's the day I get my wisdom teeth out, I'm really freaking nervous. Nobody else is here at the dental clinic, dad was able to do that. Yay. We're sitting in the waiting room, dad reading a magazine me anxiously tapping my foot on the floor.

"Matilda, we're ready for you." The nurse says opening the door. My stomach drops in my feet as I stand up. Dad stands up and follows me into the place where they keep all the creepy, shinny dental tools. "Here sit." The nurse says with a smile, she pats the dentist chair and smiles. I'd probably smile back if I wasn't so nervous. I sit down in the chair and glance nervously at dad, he's looking out the window.

"Sir," The nurse says grabbing dads attention "are you going to stay in the room with your daughter?" She asks pulling a pair of rubber gloves out of the box.

  "Yes is that all right?"

The nurse nods and picks up a box and brings it over to dad,
   "Yes it's fine but when we start your going to need to put on a surgical mask is all."

"Am I allowed to hold my daughters hand?" Dad asks pulling a blue surgical mask out of the box,

   "Maybe not her hand but you can sit by here feet, and I'll also need you to turn your phone off." The nurse puts on the rubber gloves and secures a paper bib around my neck. The dentist walks in flashing a 150 watt smile, with his perfectly white, and straight teeth.

  "Morning Matilda, I'm doctor Cruz and I'll be taking out your wisdom teeth. Now before we start I just want to explain a few things to you. Now at your fathers request we are going to give you laughing gas, because he has expressed that you are having some anxiety. Now the gas won't hurt, but you will start to feel the effects immediately." He pauses for a breath, I mean this dude just talked for 60 seconds without taking one breath.

   "This is what the mask looks like this." Dr.Cruz says showing me the beige coloured nose cover that's going to send me into a loopy state during my dental surgery. He shows me that it just lays across my nose, the nurse, Linda, has me put my hair in a hair net, one of those things they give you when you have surgery.

"Now do you have any questions?" Dr.Cruz asks, sitting down on a rolling chair. I run the pads of my thumb and index finger together, my old therapist said to do this if I was ever feeling anxious. I shake my head no,

"Okay." He whispers and pats my arm and turns to my dad. "Could I speak with you outside sir?" Dad gets up and follows him out of the room.

"I'm going to lean the chair back now, alright." Linda pushes a button and the chair goes up then backwards.

"Linda can you come help me for a second?" Dr.Cruz asks I'm staring straight at the ceiling bitting my lip to keep myself from crying. Dad walks in and stands over top of me. He looks me in the eye, and pops his lips.

"Matilda, I understand that your scared and I know when you anxiety spikes because the birthmark on your neck becomes much more prominent." I bite my lip harder but a tear slips out of the corner of my eye, and runs down the side of my face. "But I will be here in the room with you the whole time, I'm not going to leave your side ever after what happened to you. Do you understand me Matilda?"

I nod, and the paper hair next crinkles against the back of the dentist chair. I pinch my lips together and let another tear slip out. Dad leans down and wipes away the tear with his thumb, he kisses my forehead. "I love you Matilda, I'll be right here if you need me."

"Okay are we ready to get started?" Dr.Cruz asks, coming into the room. Everything goes into a flurry, the sink turns on then off. Someone puts on a pair of rubber gloves, they all put on surgical masks. Dad looks me in the eye one last time, but his mouth and nose are covered which makes me uncomfortable.

"Okay Matilda, I'm going to put the mask on your nose and on the count of three I'm going to turn the gas on. You ready?"

"Ya um I don't suppose you have a radio in here?"

"No I'm sorry Matilda, ready? I'm going to put the mask on now." Dr.Cruz places the mask over my nose and my anxiety spikes, again. But dad senses it right away and her rubs my hand. Dr.Cruz, Linda, and dad are all standing over top of me. "Okay on the count of three..."

"1...2...3" Dr.Cruz counts. I hear Linda turn on the pump, and immediately have an odd sensation wash over my body. Linda gives dad a chair and asks him to sit by my feet, I feel his hand grab onto my leg and his thumb run up and down. "Matilda I'm going to put a mouth expander in your mouth it's going to be very uncomfortable and I'm sorry." Linda hands Dr.Cruz a red mouth expander. I watch him pinch it together, he lines it up with one side of my mouth then he slowly release it. It pulls my mouth in two different directions, Linda rinses my mouth out with water then takes the sucker and dries my mouth out again. Another tear slips out of my eye, Dr.Cruz says something to dad. I hear the chair move and dad comes and sits by my head. He rubs his thumb over my forehead, the mask still covering his mouth. Dr.Cruz pulls a bright light and shines it in my mouth.

I can feel the laughing gas pushes my anxiety out the door, and far from my mind. Dad never stopped looking me in the eye, I hear Doctor Cruz says a bunch of fancy medical things, but all of it is a faint blur. I feel sleepy, but then dad starts singing the one thing that calms me down, well that and apparently laughing gas.

"When your legs don't work like they used to before
And I can't sweep you off of your feet
Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love?
Will your eyes still smile from your cheeks?

And, darling, I will be loving you 'til we're 70
And, baby, my heart could still fall as hard at 23
And I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways
Maybe just the touch of a hand
Well, me—I fall in love with you every single day
And I just wanna tell you I am

So, honey, now
Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Place your head on my beating heart
I'm thinking out loud
Maybe we found love right where we are

When my hair's all but gone and my memory fades
And the crowds don't remember my name
When my hands don't play the strings the same way (mmm...)
I know you will still love me the same

'Cause, honey, your soul could never grow old, it's evergreen
And, baby, your smile's forever in my mind and memory
I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways
Maybe it's all part of a plan
Well, I'll just keep on making the same mistakes
Hoping that you'll understand

That, baby, now
Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Place your head on my beating heart
Thinking out loud
Maybe we found love right where we are (oh, oh)

La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, lo-ud

So, baby, now
Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Oh, darling, place your head on my beating heart
I'm thinking out loud
But maybe we found love right where we are
Oh, baby, we found love right where we are
And we found love right where we are"

{~~~}
(Toms POV)

   "You can sit in here with her until she wakes up, I recommend keeping the oxygen on though." Dr.Cruz says, disposing his plastic gloves in the waste bin,

"Will she remember anything?" I ask looking over at Matilda, Linda replaced the laughing gas mask, with an oxygen mask. Matilda's face is swollen and pink. There's gauze stuffed in between her teeth, and the birth mark on the side of her neck is still showing.

  "Hard to tell right now, Bring her in next week and we can put on her braces. I'll have Linda bring a wheelchair by."

"Thank you Dr.Cruz, you showed Matilda a lot of compassion which helped calm her down, I really appreciate it." We shake hands and Dr.Cruz leaves. I sit down next to Matilda and gently take her hand in mine.

    The soft hiss of the oxygen mask is the only noise in the room. Matilda's chest rises and falls with every breath she takes. This is the first time she's slept without screaming for a long time. Linda left that bloody hair next on her head, but I can't pull it off without waking Matilda so I leave it on her head, let it cover her long black hair. I sit and wait, watching the minutes go by.

   "Mmmmm daddy," Matilda whispers, I look down at my beautiful daughter. She's still got her eyes closed,

  "I'm here sweet, and I won't go anywhere I promise."  I pull the oxygen mask and hair next off of Matilda.

   "Daddy what's in my moupf?" She asks trying to take the gauze out.

   "No you need to leave that there." I take her hands and hold them in between mine. I kiss the tips of her fingers, "sleep Matilda you need your rest,"

   "I don wanna sweep, I have dab bream." She mutters softly,

   "I know sweet. Just try for me okay. I'm here if you need."