Star Scat

(Toms POV)

   I would never want to make my daughter feel uncomfortable, or embarrassed. But the affects of the laughing gas are starting to where off, and it's bloody hilarious.
   "Daddy I cam't fheel my faphce" she whines, she sticks her fingers in her mouth and try's to pull the gauze out of her mouth again.
   "No Matilda leave the gauze alone, it's not time to change it yet." I say, trying not to laugh at my daughter. Her eyes water and she starts to cry, "Mal there's no need to cry, I'm not mad. You just need to listen okay? Can you do that for me?"
   She nods and I dry her tears with the sleeve of my jumper. "Good girl my sweet, now the doctor says that you need to sleep."
    She nods her head, and looks at me with her big blue eyes. I stroke her hair and pull her blanket over her body. She closes her eyes and starts to breath easier, "Sleep well sweet."

{~~~}
(Matilda's POV)

   I don't remember much from the dentist off, there's a faint memory of Tom singing and a nose piece but I don't really don't know. I prop myself up on my elbow and wince. Both sides of my jaw really hurt. I push the covers off my legs and slowly push myself out of my bed. I can hear the T.V in dads room, I walk across the hall and gently tap on his bedroom door.
   "Dad?" I ask softly, it hurts to talk and the gauze in preventing me from properly articulating my words. I push the door open with the heel of my hand, and pull the sleeve of my sweater over my other hand. Dads bathroom door is shut and the shower is on, I walk in and make myself at home in his bed. He was watching Sherlock. The shower turns off and a few moments later dad opens the door, he doesn't have a shirt on. Just his Pj pants.
   "Hey sweet how are you feeling?" He asks, pulling a shirt out of the laundry basket. He slips it on over his head.
   "My jaw weally furts." I say trying hard, not to let the fact that theirs wads of gauze shoves in my face get to me.
   "I know sweetheart, I have something to show you", dads lays down next to me and pulls out his phone "grandma found a video of me when I got my wisdom teeth out, she thought it might lift your spirits." Tom brings the video up on his tv.

   "Tom look at the camera." I here Shara say. The man who I think is my grandpa helps dad out of the dentist chair, dad walks straight for a minuet then he faints.
   "See I was so confused and dizzy that my body just said 'to hell with this' and just gave up. Shara and Emma used this video as blackmail."
   "You didn't tapke me-" I stop and let out a frustrated sigh,
   "It's okay Mal just take your time." Dad consoles
   'You didn't take a video of me did you?" I ask in sign, it takes dad a minuet to process what I said before he answers,
   "No I did not."
   'Thank you.' I say still signing,
   "But we do need to change the gauze in your mouth, do you want me to help or can you do it."
   'Can you please, I'm not really processing anything right now.'
   "Sure I left the gauze downstairs, be back in a second." Dad gets off the bed and leaves the room. He left his phone on the bed, So I pick up his phone and start playing candy crush. Dad comes back a second later with gauze, latex gloves, and a towel. I lay down on one of dads soft pillows and watch him ad he opens the small package of gauze. He put on the gloves on his hands and I don't blame him.
   "Okay Mal, I'm not a dentist but I helped take care of Emma when she got her wisdom teeth out, so I know what I'm doing. I think." I open my mouth and close my eyes, I love my dad but there are some boundaries. I feel the wet, blood cover pieces of gauze come out of my mouth and two new soft ones go in. 
   "You can open your eyes now Mal." Dad says he takes the towel and wipes the sting of drool from my mouth. "Do you want me to make you some soup?" Dad ask throwing the gloves, gauze, and wrappers on the trash. I bite down on the gauze and shake my head.
   'No thanks, I'm in to much pain to eat right now.' I reply (still signing)
   "You should at least try sweet," dad insists "it will help you feel better."
   I shake my head again, I roll onto my side to face the T.V, the video of dad getting his wisdom teeth out is playing on repeat. It's actually really hilarious watching dad become subject to laughing gas. He singing about how much he loves tea, his hair golden blond and the ends twisted into curls.
    "You were very coote wen you was wittle" I say to dad, my words slur together is a mess. The stupid gauze, "could you pweaze bring me soome ice?"
   "Sure Mal." Dad says with a soft smile. He walks out of the room and returns a moment later with an ice pack. "Here, sit up for a second Mal." Dad says, I lean forward. Dad holds the ice pack to one side of my face and scurries it with a piece of fabric, it has little ducks on it.
   "Grandma used this for me when I had my wisdom teeth taken out"
   "I fheel wlike a phat squirrel, take it off pleaze" I say trying to undo the knot.
   "Matilda, sometimes you need to look dumb to get better, and you do not look like a fat squirrel. Your beautiful."
   "No my pface is pfhat, and I can't twalk properply, I clwldnt even go to tze dentist without crying."
   "And that okay Matilda. You were scared
We all get scared at times. Did ever tell you that I'm afraid of sharks."
   I shake my head no continue to undo the knot, dad doesn't try to stop me this time he just keeps talking about sharks,
  "It's true I'll be swimming out in the ocean, I'm okay to start with but then the jaws theme starts playing in my head, and I just freak out." I manage to get the stupid knot undone I mush the fabric strip into a ball a throw it across the room. I drop the ice pack on the floor and dad let's out a frustrated sigh.
   "I understand that you mad and frustrated Matilda so I'll let you sleep, I'll come back up when it's time to take the gauze out." Tom angrily stands up, he picks up the ice pack and fabric and leaves his bedroom. I slump back into the pillows and close my eyes, Katie always said 'never go to bed angry' but I don't care right now.

    (Tom's POV)
I left Matilda alone in my bedroom to blow off some steam. I grab another ice pack out of the freezer and pick up the fabric strip and the other ice pack. I creep backup to the bedroom and I'm thankful to see that she feel asleep on her back. The sides of her face are still incredibly swollen, she'll thank me for this later, I tell myself. I put one ice pack on either sides of Mals' face and then I tie it with the fabric strip.