Prologue...

"I'll see you in just a few months." My boyfriend, Brock Spencer, spoke softly into my hair as I hugged him. My arms were wrapped tightly around his middle and my head was pressed into his chest, breathing in his scent so I could remember it while he was gone.

"I'm going to miss you."

"Don't worry Haley, you'll be back with me in just a few months. Then we can get our future started."

Brock was leaving to go to UCLA all the way in California, while I am staying here in our small town, Port Townsend, in Washington for a bit longer. He was going on a full ride scholarship for baseball which was incredible, so he couldn't pass the opportunity up. It was something he has always wanted so if I held him back he would only resent me.

So, while he was off at college I would be here helping my mom out and earning some more money before going to the same school. My mom recently got diagnosed with cancer so I needed to stay here with her for a bit. With my father out of the picture and a younger brother they needed me.

It just sucked that he was leaving so soon. I had months to prepare for this but it did nothing to help me for right now. We were standing right outside of security and I didn't want to let him go. I wasn't sure what I was going to do without him by my side. For the past three years we have spent everyday together and this was going to be rough.

"I am going to miss my flight babe." He tried to pull away from me.

"Just don't...don't be an idiot and go drinking a lot or partying. Do your work and call me every night. And show those college kids how to play real baseball." Out of the two of us I was the more responsible and reasonable one. If it wasn't for me Brock would have gone home drunk a lot or done something stupid.

"I promise. I'll call you everyday and I won't get into trouble." He kissed my forehead as I hugged him one last time.

"I love you Brock." I grabbed the back of his neck and brought his head down to mine. I pressed my lips against his, wanting one last kiss. I didn't care that people were probably watching. This was going to be my last kiss from him for a few months so I was getting all I could.

"I love you too." Brock whispered when we broke away from the kiss. His hands were cupping my face. "Don't you worry we will be fine. I'll call you when I land." He kissed my lips one more time before untangling my arms from around him and took a step back. I was swallowing thickly trying hard not to cry. Behind me I could hear Brock's mother crying as well.

"Bye Haley." The way he said it made me think this would be the end of it. I mean he was going far away for college and I was staying here. Yes, I would be there soon with him but who knows what could happen in a few months.

No! No we will be fine. We can do long distance and we will end up together. I fiercely told myself. It was going to be okay.

As he said goodbye one last time to his family he grabbed his bags and turned to head for security. This time I couldn't hold back the tears as they ran down my face. Before he disappeared from view he turned around to look at me. Brock blew me a kiss that just made my chest hurt worse, before disappearing.

I stood there staring after him wanting him to turn back around but he didn't. As much as I wanted him to stay I knew I couldn't make him do that. It was his dream to play baseball and if he could do that at a great school he had too. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for him.

We just had to hold out for a few months. We could do it. In no time I would have enough money saved, have my mom better and be by his side at UCLA.

It would happen. It had to happen...right??