Chapter 15....

Brock was quiet as he went over to his old jersey. Beside it were more pictures of Brock. Some of him mid pitch, one of him holding the trophy, one of him at the world series game just a year ago. It was right after that game the school decided to dedicate the field, saying Brock had done this town justice.

"Why did no one tell me about this?"

"I figured your parents had told you." I thought his parents had told him. When he didn't bring it up when we were coming up this way I figured he had just forgotten about it.

"They probably did I guess I wasn't listening or..." He trailed off, looking over at the plaque on the fence.

"No one blames you. You had just come off of winning the World Series. No one expected you to come."

"But I'd have wanted to come. I practically grew up on this field."

"At least now you are seeing it." I supplied lamely. I wasn't sure what to say. He sounded upset at the fact he didn't know about this. When he hadn't shown up I had just figured he was busy. The day after all over social media there were pictures of him out at some party kissing some famous actress.

"Next time they dedicate something to you I'll send you a text." I teased hoping to lighten the mood. I hadn't meant to bring him here to made him sad. He sent me a look but he had a small smile on his face as he turned back around.

"Want to play?" Brock suddenly asked.

"Play? There's no bats or anything."

"We can break into the shed where they keep the extras." Now this was the Brock I remembered.

"Aren't you still healing from your surgery?" I questioned, crossing my arms across my chest.

"So, I'm fine." When he shrugged I didn't miss the clenching of his jaw.

"Yeah no. I am not going to be the one responsible for ending your career."

"Haley I'm healed."

"Not completely. I don't need angry fans showing up on my doorstep, no thank you. So that is a hard no on playing baseball."

"Chicken." The grin on his face starting to grow as he took a step forward.

"That isn't going to work."

"Come on Hals don't be such a chicken." I stared at him trying to keep my own smile off of my face. When Brock started making chicken noises I lost the battle. Laughing loudly I shook my head at him.

"That won't work on me Brock, I am a lot mature now than I use to be. But..." He paused in his chicken noises as I spoke. "Race you to the other side of the field!" I finished. 

As soon as the words left my lips I took off past him. Behind me I heard Brock curse which just made me laugh harder.

I weaved in and out of the bleachers to get down to the actual field. I almost fell a few times but I managed to catch myself. It wasn't until I was coming into the dug out did I look back to see where Brock was at.

Yelping at how close he was on my heels I hurried faster out of the dug out onto the field. My hopes of beating Brock were very little considering he was in a lot better shape than I was. I wasn't ever really the sporty one. My hair blew into my face making me spit it out of my mouth. My laughter loud and trailing behind me.

I could hear Brock getting closer but I couldn't go any faster. My legs weren't that long and my lungs were already slightly burning. Up ahead I could see the edge of the field and inwardly I cheered thinking I could possibly win things.

As I got closer a pair of arms suddenly grabbed my hips. I was thrown off by his touch that my legs somehow got tangled in one another. With a small yell I knew I was going down. I felt Brock's weight on my back as our bodies started to fall, the ground getting nearer.

I closed my eyes tightly ready to hit the ground hard but my body was suddenly moving. We hit the ground with a thud. I felt the vibrations of the fall but my body didn't directly hit the ground. Hearing a groan I opened my eyes.

Strong arms were wrapped around my middle and my head was laying back on a chest that was vibrating. Below me Brock groaned again, making me twist in his hold. My body moved on its own until I was straddling his waist, my hands now resting on his chest.

Brock had somehow twisted us as we fell so he hit the ground first.

"Are you okay?" I asked only for me to start giggling.

"Why are you laughing?" He opened his eyes, his voice a little raspy from the air getting knocked out of him.

"I-" I couldn't even finish as I started full on laughing. The kind of laughing that moves your whole body and makes your stomach hurt.

I wasn't even sure why I was laughing. It was just coming out and I could do nothing to stop it. A minute later Brock's own laughter echoed mine. His chest vibrated until my hands as he laughed alongside me.

I managed to calm down after a few minutes. With a huge smile still on my face I looked down at Brock.

"Are you okay though?" The fall probably didn't feel too good.

"I'm good. Damn you weigh a lot." Gasping I slapped his chest.

"Rude." He just laughed underneath of me.

When he stopped laughing we smiled at one another. His chest was hard underneath my fingers and they itched to feel the rest of what was under his shirt. Brock's hand were still gripping my hips. The familiarity of this position made my cheeks start to heat up. I remember what happened the last time we were in this position. With the way Brock's eyes darkened I think he remembered too.

My eyes moved from his eyes down to his lips. They looked so soft and kissable. I wanted to know if he still tasted as good as he did back then. I wanted to lean down and kiss him but something was holding me back. The clearing of Brock's throat made me look away from his lips.

"What about your boyfriend?" The sudden change in topic had me frowning and scrunching my eyebrows down at him.

"Boyfriend?" Where did that come from.

"The guy from the festival the other night. I saw you there with him and a little girl."

"Wait little girl?" I was beyond confused now.

"Your daughter. Is she with her dad cause she wasn't at your house."

"Brock what the hell are you talking about?" I was severely confused at what he was talking about. I didn't have a boyfriend or a daughter, I would know if I did.

"On Friday I saw you with a guy and a little girl in your arms. I figured he was your boyfriend or husband." At his words I remembered what he was talking about. Suddenly laughing I shook my head at him. "What? Haley what?" The tone of his voice made me stop. He actually thought I had a daughter and a husband.

"Brock, the guy you saw me with was one of my students father and the little girl was his daughter." The look of realization on his face made my hold back my laughter.

"But I thought...what about the other guy you were with?"

"Brad? He's Annie's, well she wants him to be."

"So, you don't have a boyfriend or a daughter?"

"No I don't." I shook my head at him. "Can't believe you thought that."

"It just looked like it." He defended.

With the mood ruined now I climbed off of him and stood up. I wasn't mad that the thought that, I found it more comical than anything. Grabbing his hand I hauled him up, stumbling back slightly.

"You can just ask next time you know."

"I just assumed..." Nudging him softly with my shoulder shook my head.

There was never a dull moment with Brock.