Chapter 25

Third person pov

Rasa had been a shitty father.

Like, a really, really shitty father.

So as he saw it, this was a second chance. What else could it possibly be? He had died, so there was no possible way this was a genjutsu. Time travel was what this was, and he'd been plotting the best way to go about being a better father to his three children. Especially Gaara. God, he'd treated that boy so bad. He hadn't known the love he deserved until his teenage years when his two siblings had finally managed to connect to him. He'd earned the affection of his village, and Rasa was sure he'd do it again. Just this time... he'd be there. To be a supportive, loving father like Karura would have wanted him to be. 

After reading two books on parenting and gathering supplies to brave the house he rarely ever went home to, Rasa knew he was ready. It was early enough that he hadn't yet moved Gaara to a new home with Yashamaru, and he was glad for that. The boy was only five at this point, and he was still in the same home as his siblings. He could tackle them all at once. 

Mainly, Rasa was worried about Gaara. He remembered only two things that the boy was fond of. Bread and small cacti. His other children were provided with whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted it, so he didn't really know what he could give them. Gaara, on the other hand, didn't receive many gifts. He got some of the things he wished for, but that was only if Rasa felt it was alright for him to have it. After Yashamaru's death, he'd stopped asking for anything at all. 

Rasa entered a quiet house. All the lights were turned off, and the blinds shut. He supposed they could be out playing. Today was exceptionally less hot than the less. Even if they weren't around right now, he had time. He could, and would, wait if he had to. He doubted they were still sleeping. Perhaps they'd gone out for lunch? He really wasn't sure what his kids had done while he was at work. And he had always been at work.

Venturing through the house, Rasa allowed himself to search for the chakra signatures of his children. He didn't sense Kankuro or Temari, but he easily picked up on Gaara's presence. He was in his room. That was a good place to confront him, right? I mean, he was familiar with the space, so maybe he'd feel more comfortable. Both his parenting books had said that when dealing with troubled children, you should make sure they're comfortable. It was in both, so it had to be right.

"Gaara?" He asked softly as he entered the room. Gaara's head snapped to him, his seafoam-green eyes narrowed dangerously. Books and scrolls were scattered around him in a circle, and the circles around his eyes seemed darker than ever. Rasa swallowed heavily. Hadn't Gaara been a pleasant child? He was sure the boy was more cheerful, and since when could he read at the age of four? Rasa was really lacking behind.

"What're you doing here?" He hissed, the book in his lap clapping shut. Rasa slowly brought the bag he'd brought with him out from behind his back, careful not to make any sudden movements. Pulling out the bread and small cactus, he carefully set them on the ground, slowly standing up. Gaara's lips pressed themselves into at thin line as he stared at the two offerings. Rasa slowly backed up.

"I'm just gonna leave those two things there." Rasa whispered before adding. "Stay in school and don't do drugs."

He turned around and booked it down the hall, grinning.

He was such a good father now.

~

"Go, go!" Shikamaru screeched, pushing Hidan towards the window as Shikaku's footsteps thundered down the hall. Yoshino let out another shrill call for her husband, waving Shikamaru desperately towards her as he forced his window open. "Hurry up! He's going to be here any second!" 

"Fuck, fuck, fuck-" Hidan cursed, scrambling through the window. Shikamaru helped him through, pushing him as hard as he could. The man fell through and down into the bushes, shrieking the whole time. Shikamaru kicked his leg out of the window, jumping out after him. Hidan let out another shriek when Shikamaru landed on his back. "Have mercy dammit!"

"Shikamaru!" Shikaku's head popped through the window. His eyes landed on his son first, but eventually moved to Hidan. Shikamaru's heart dropped when he saw the horror in his father's eyes. He had recognized Hidan as an S-rank criminal. They had to get out of here, and they had to get out of here now. If they didn't, they'd be caught. As if they weren't screwed enough already.

"Come on! You're so slow, dammit!" Shikamaru pulled Hidan from the pushes with all the strength he could muster. The Ex-Jashinist stumbled to his feet, almost falling onto his face. Shikamaru grabbed the man's hand and began to run. Hidan blinked away his dizziness. "This is such a damn drag!"

"Shikamaru!" Shikaku forced himself through the window. Shikamaru could hear his mother crying, but he couldn't risk letting Hidan get caught. He didn't turn to look back. He knew guilt would take him over if he were to. He already felt bad enough as it was. He felt like he was failing his parents, but he had to do this. "Pick me up. My legs are too short for this." Shikamaru demanded. Hidan did as he was told. This brat was scarier than he remembered.

With Shikaku's shadow jutsu hot on his tail, Hidan darted right into Konoha, his eyes wide with panic. Shikamaru shouted at him to go faster, threatening him with promises of eternal suffering. These threats definitely encouraged Hidan to go faster. He used to love pain, and part of him still did, but this little Nara thing wasn't even a human anymore. Just some terrifying little grimlin with the ability to turn office supplies into weapons. He wasn't sure he was okay with that.

"You know, my favorite food is ramen." Naruto informed Ibiki as they walked towards the barbecue restaurant. Ibiki rolled his eyes. "Yeah, you told me. Twice. We're still getting-" Ibiki paused when a panicked, screeching Hidan ran past him, a cursing Shikamaru in his arms. The silver-haired man ran like he was being chased by Satan on a moped. He looked absolutely terrified. The next person to past, Shikaku Nara, looked just as scared.

"...I guess Hidan is back too!" Naruto chirped.

All Ibiki could do was sigh and massage his temples.