Chapter 10

RIVER

Quickly, I end those bastards' lives while they're focused on Thia, rage flowing through my veins like poison.

My baby, I sprint across the room where she lay unconscious.

My brothers, who, hearing the ruckus, have joined us, drag the bodies out of the room swiftly. I know Caleb will be back with the first aid kit.

Falling to my knees beside her, my heart falters as I see the blood staining her blue shirt. Carefully, I gather her into my arms, cradling her head to my chest. "I'm so sorry, baby!"

This is the second bloody time that she's been shot under my care. I can't believe I let this happen again! And how the f**k did those dicks get into my bedroom?!

"I'm sorry, River."

Her scared little voice echos around my skull, squeezing my brain painfully. She thought I was mad at her. My innocent little angel, so precious. So defenseless. And so fucking strong.

I will always remember how proud I was when she didn't give them the satisfaction of hearing her scream. She may look fragile, but she is probably one of the strongest women I know.

"River," she whimpers sleepily, her eyes still closed. "I hurt all over."

My heart squeezes at the sound of her pain-filled voice. "I know, angel," I press a gentle kiss to her sweaty forehead, "I'm gonna make you all better, okay?"

She tries to snuggle closer, but her shoulder presses against the zipper on my leather jacket, making her jerk away, a quiet sob escaping her lips.

Quickly, I yank off my jacket, angry at myself from making her cry. "Shh, I'm sorry, baby." I caress her cheek softly, a tear sliding down my cheek.

"I don't wanna get shot a--again," she sobs, obviously terrified, into my chest. "It wasn't fun this time."

Guilt shreds me inside, knowing that she shouldn't have been shot the first time, let alone the second. "You won't, beautiful. I'll protect you."

"O--okay," she hiccups, starting to drift asleep again. "I love y--you, River."

With shaking hands, I brush a strand of hair behind her ear. I don't f**king deserve her love! I wasn't there when she needed me. I let her get hurt.

But my mouth doesn't get the memo, apparently. Because as I'm prepared to send her to the hospital where she can meet her family, my mouth suddenly blurts, "And I will protect you better, Angel. Because you are mine!"

My words shock me, but I can't bring myself to correct them. In fact, they feel so right, im beginning to think they're true.

After Celeb removes the bullet from her arm and wraps it as well as changes her other bandage, I carry her sleeping form to the guest room and lay her down gently, tucking her in. 

Before I can leave, she whimpers softly, "D--don't leave me again, River."

In and instant, I am in bed next to her, holding her securely in my arms. "Of course I won't leave you again, baby."

Hours later, I lay, staring down at her peaceful face as she sleeps on top my chest. Her soft rosy cheek is pressed against my chest, her red lips pursed adorably. And, of course, I offered my thumb to be her personal pacifier. She accepted greedily, her tiny hands wrapped around my hand, holding my thumb in her mouth. 

Being asleep, she isn't actually sucking on it, but I can't bring myself to pull my hand from her loose grip. I think it makes her feel safe, and I could never deny her that simple peace. Especially after the traumatic event that just took place.

Unable to fall asleep because of the guilt and fear of her being taken again, I just watch as she breathes steadily. If only I could keep her this safe every minute of every day.

Hearing a soft tap on the door, I roll over so I am crouching protectively over her.

Slowly, the door quietly opens, revealing Caleb who pokes his head inside the room. "A woman called your phone, wanting to talk to Thia," he whispers, walking in with a phone in his hand.

I must have left it in my bedroom. I take it from him and he leaves, locking the door behind him.

Bringing the phone to my ear, I carefully disentangle myself from Thia, walking across the room so I don't wake her. "Hello?"

"Who is this," a woman demands on the other end, sounding  harsh.

"River Monroe," I reply, suspecting who the woman is.

"Where is Thia," she snaps angrily, I guess she didn't like my name.

"She is sleeping," I glance over to the small bump in the bed and a tender smile finds my lips, "Do you want me to tell her that her mother called?"

She gasps, not expecting me to know who she is. "Wake her up, I don't trust you. I need to talk to her, make sure she's okay. And you, young man, you better bring my daughter home right this instant!"

My gut clenches at the thought, but I swallow the lump in my throat. "I understand, ma'am. I will return her to you as soon as possible. But...we were attacked earlier today and she was shot in the shoulder. She is okay now, but we need to keep her here to redress her wound. I'm sorry, ma'am."

"My little girl was shot again?! Who the hell are you?! STOP HURTING MY DAUGHTER," she screams, sounding worried. As she should.

"I'm doing everything in my power to keep her safe, ma'am. And at the nearest possible opportunity, I will bring her home. Just please understand, she should not travel right now."

Thia starts to stir, running her hands over the bed, searching for something. 

F**k, she's looking for me, I stare at her with wide eyes. She's gonna think I left her again!

"Ma'am, I need to go," I apologize, walking towards my baby, "But you will be able to call her whenever you like on this number. However, if she's sleeping, I will not wake her up for you. I will tell her you called, though. Goodbye, ma'am." I hang up and set the phone on the nightstand.

"River," she whimpers sleepily, inching across the bed where I usually sleep, trying to get closer.

My heart breaks at the sight, a tear sliding down her cheek. She feels abandoned by me.

Quickly, I climb into bed, pulling her into my arms. "Shh, I'm here. Go to sleep, angel," I coo gently, running my fingers through her silky hair.

Snuggling closer, she falls back asleep quickly.

She didn't used to do this, now she's scared to sleep alone. I did this to her, I made her afraid.

And I f**king deserve to go to hell for it.

I should have just brought her home the first night, have Hector find her adress and just skip all this sh*t.

Except, then she wouldn't have fallen in love with me.

I am such a selfish b*stard!

If I can't make her happy, I have to let her go in hopes that someone else will.

F**k love.

As long as she's safe, I will be fine without her.