Chapter 17

RIVER

"What are you talking about? You need to talk slower."

Slamming my car door shut, I yell angrily into my phone, "SHE'S IN TROUBLE! IT'S F**KING ONE IN THE MORNING! HER PARENTS WOULDN'T BE TAKING HER ANYWHERE THIS LATE! TELL THE GANG TO GET THEIR *SSES TO WORK! I NEED EYES ON HER TRACKER, I'M FOLLOWING THEM!"

Caleb curses and I hear some shuffling on his end. "You gave her a tracker?"

"Yes." I tear out of the driveway, pulling my phone away from my ear for a second to see where she's at. Quickly putting it on speakerphone, I look up at the dark road.

F**k, I forgot to turn on the d*mn car lights!

Switching the lights on, I again curse the fact that my angel doesn't have a cell.

"I'll call you back when I'm done talking to the guys," says Caleb before ending the call.

According to her necklace, she's nearing the town line, which greatly disturbs me. I press the gas pedal against the floorboard.

Keeping an eye on the road, I call Thia's brother and hope he picks up.

After four rings I hear his groggy voice, "Hello?"

"Check on your sister," I order urgently, clutching the steering wheel with one hand.

"What the hell, man? Why'd you call me so late," he asks, sounding angry.

"F**king go check on Thia, Hayden!"

Huffing in annoyance, he says nothing as I hear what sounds like him getting out of bed. "Fine."

After a few moments of silence, I hear him curse and his footsteps as he runs.

"Where is she, you b*stard?!" He sounds enraged, clearly having seen Thia's empty bed.

"She's on the move," I explain swiftly, glancing around myself, "I think someone has taken her, I'm trying to catch them right now."

He seems to take this in before he asks firmly, "What do you need me to do?"

Suddenly, the weight on my shoulders seems a tiny bit less. Glad I don't have to explain things to him at the moment, I sigh slightly, "If she comes home or you get any strange calls, call me and let me know. Keep me updated on the happenings at your house."

"Okay, call me when you find her," he agrees, sounding reluctant.

"Okay." With that, I hang up the phone.

I knew this was a bad idea, leaving her without proper protection.

A mistake that surely won't happen again.

•°•°•

There they are.

"What do you see?"

Red.

I see f**king red!

Clutching the steering wheel with both hands, I take deep breaths in attempt to steady my breathing.

"What the f**k is this," I growl, glaring at the scene before me through my tinted windshield.

"Come on man, tell me what's happening," urges Caleb's voice from my phone that is sitting in my cup holder.

"Do you wanna know what's happening?" My voice is scarily calm as I park my car on the side of the road. Then I explode. "DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS F**KING HAPPENING?!"