Bestfriends

Kayla's P.O.V

I wake up with tears in my eyes. Ever since the day I went to the mall with Lucas, the boys and Taylor I've been having the same dream. The dream where the lady that looks like she could be Lucas's mom appears and tries to pull me out of the darkness into the light with her. But every time our fingers touch she disappears and I'm left screaming while the dark consumes me. Wiping my eyes, I roll out of the bed and land on my Spongebob beanbag. My Dad bursts in my room being loud as usual.
" Awe Nah, It's 7:30", he says as he crosses his arms. I roll on my back and let out an irritated breath.
" I don't feel good Dad, can I stay home just this once? Pleeeease", I beg as I fake a cough.
" You pregnant, cause you sure been havin that long head ass boy in my house. I'll kill you and him, it won't be no lil nappy head ass kids runnin around here as long as I'm payin bills." Choking on a lump in my throat and coughing, I sit up.
" DAD CAN YOU GET OUT! J is just my Bestfriend it's not even like that; you always think somebody gettin pregnant. "
" Yeah like I said lil' girl; I'll get out when you start payin the mortgage on this house, the light, heat, and gas bill, and the car note on that truck I just bought", he says as he gives me a goofy grin. Sometimes I can't stand this man. I stand up and stretch.
" Ok, ok I'll be ready in 20 minutes."
" That's what I thought, now PEACE!", he says as he does a goofy dance.

Shaking my head and laughing I grab my phone and go into my bathroom

Shaking my head and laughing I grab my phone and go into my bathroom. As I start my shower, I see I have a goodmorning text from Jacob and I smile to myself. Me and Jacob have gotten closer than I thought we would ever be. The night I walked home from the park after my fight with Lucas, J called to me to make sure I made it home safe. I didn't mean to break down on the phone with him, but I did. All the confusion and anger that built up inside of me released when he asked me what was wrong. He listened to me cry for at least 5 minutes. When I got done I forgot he was on the phone and set it by my side in the bed. I was emotionally exhausted. In the morning when I finally woke up, Jacob was still on the phone. That really shocked me. Instead of hanging up he listened to me cry, telling me it was ok and that he was there and listened to me sleep on the phone for the rest of the night. Later that day, he came to see me. He bought me McDonald's and Starbucks and I told him what happened at the park. For him to cancel his plans just for me made me look at him differently. A good different. I've always thought Jacob was a genuine person from a long time ago in the nurses room at school when he asked me if I was ok after I cut my hand in chemistry --- purposely, but no one knows that. I avoided him on purpose after that because he was trying to be my friend, and I wanted to be alone. Plus I thought he was trying to be nice to me just to flip the script and embarrass me in front of all his friends. He is one of the most liked students at the arts, of course.
Since that day he spent the day with me, we instantly clicked. Turns out we have a lot in common. Like he grew up listening to old school music; he has a old soul just like me. And he's goofy, smart, and can sing, which is a plus because its never a dull moment with him. At first I was hesitant about trusting him and letting him in, but I realized that I needed a shoulder to cry on, a good laugh, good conversations, and overall good vibes; Jacob is the person who has given me those things other than Taylor, Ar'mon and Trey and him.
I hop out of the shower, brush my teeth, wash my face, lotion up and put my clothes on. Taking my scarf and bonnet off, I spray my braids with African oil sheen. Jacob's mom did my lemonade braid ponytail and I love it. He introduced me to her one day after we came from the movies. She was at her shop she recently opened; J had to drop her house keys off to her. It warmed my heart to see how close Jacob and is mom are after he told me all that they've been through. While we were, after talking to her for about 40 minutes, I knew I adored her; she is so genuine. Now I know where he gets his good character from; plus his mama don't play and is really talented when it comes to styling and cutting hair. She even offered to do my braids and whatever else I wanted to get done whenever I want for free. I get interrupted from my train of thought when I hear my phone ringing, knowing it's Jacob.
" Hello?"
" Wassup Kayla, you up", Jacob says sounding sleepy.
" Yeah, but are you up? You sound half sleep."
" I am, practice got out late last night and Jojo kept everybody up last night". I chuckle to myself, hearing J's little brothers name; he is definitely a handful.
" What he do this time?"
" Ma, had to throw out his Paw Patrol shoes away because he knocked over some bleach and spilled it on them. He woke up from his nap and it was world war 3. Lil' nigga was yelling, cryin' throwin shit and he knocked my game on the floor. Almost had to put him on his neck." I laugh and shake my head.
" It's yo fault for spoilin' him, that lil nigga don't know what the word " no" means".
" But we not talkin' about me, we talkin bout his nugget head ass. You always takin his side. I'm your Bestfriend not him."
" You know I'm right--- but anyways can you do me a favor?"
" I already got yo, lil hungry ass some food." I start cheesing extra hard, he's starting to know me better each day.
" THANKYOU BESTFRIEND"!
" Whatever, see you in a few", he says and hangs up the phone. My Dad yells my name, so I hurry and grab my bag and keys and rush downstairs. Kissing my dad on the cheek, I walk to my truck. I'm so thankful for my Dad buying me my Jeep wrangler; my dream car. I look across the street and see Lucas coming out of the house. He catches me looking and I roll my eyes at him and get in my truck. Since that day we spent together at the mall, I haven't talked to him. I talked the principal into letting Taylor be his school guide and been avoiding him ever since. He's been trying to text and call me but I'm not trying to hear anything he has to say. I knew he was going to find a way to embarass me like he did; it's no coming back from that.
After 10 minutes, I pull up in the school's parking lot and J pulls up beside me shortly after in his Jeep wrangler,identical to mine, looking tired as ever .

I get out my car and stand waiting so we can go inside. He smiles at me, his whole face lighting up, when he gets out of the truck. Opening one of his doors, he grabs a drink and a box of Buffalo Wild Wings and hands it to me. I take it from him and smile hard opening up the box and taking a sip of the raspberry lemonade.
" You lucky I thought about you last night when I stopped at Bdubs yesterday. I know yo ass was gone ask for me to bring somethin", he says as he mugs me. I smack my lips.
" That's why I rock with you, you feed me."
" Ohhhh, that's the only reason shorty", he asks while stepping closer to me and lifting my chin and looking at me. I get butterflies in my stomach and quickly look down.
" Uhh... see, nnnnah. You know that's not the only reason", I stutter. I look back up and he licks his lips.
" I know I'm just fuckin with you." I push him away and punch him in the arm.
" Nigga back up, or get beat down".
" Don't get tough like you wanna run this fade--- and you lookin like a snack shorty." I feel myself blushing.
" I look the same like I do every day, stop gassin' me J."
" That's my job right. Bestfriends are supposed to gass eachother and let the world know how good they look--- like this". He pulls out his phone and gets on Snapchat and starts recording me.
" My Bestfriend better than yours bihhhh". I laugh and walk towards the building; I see Taylor and smile and wave at her. Me and her have gotten really close as well, she's like the sister I've always wanted. But we haven't hung out that much due to her having to help out around her house more while her Mom works 3rd shift at the hospital. We talk everyday though, sometimes on 4 way with Ar'mon and Trey; I've gotten close to them as well.
I get to my locker and grab my English and Calculus books out and head to homeroom. Someone taps me on my shoulder, its Taylor.
" Hey sis", she says and hugs me.
" Wassup I missed you this weekend".
" Sorry I couldn't come over I had to watch the twins while mama was at work. They bad asses and being in that borin' ass house been drivin' me crazy."
" Don't worry bout it, I spent time with my pops over the weekend. But we gotta do somethin this weekend I miss you. Plus Armon and Trey been wantin' to see me too."
" Most definitely--- actually Trey wanted me to ask you if you wanted to come to their sleepover/kickback they havin on Friday." I raise my eyebrow. Eventhough my confidence has risen a little, doesn't mean I want to be surrounded by people I don't know. I'm still shy.
" Who all gone be there?"
" Girl, just me and you, Ar'mon and Trey, their friend Jasmine that they grew up with--- and Lucas, but thats it". I stale face her.
" Well you have fun, let me know how it goes and hit me up on Saturday", I say to her as I turn to walk away. She pulls my bookbag.
" Nigga, number 1, we haven't spent time together in forever and since I have some free time on my hands we are going to the kickback TOGETHER!! Number 2, girlll you can ignore Lucas long chin ass we can still be lit. Number 3, I'll kidnap you, you have no choice so imma pick you up around 7 so be ready cus you don't want me to come in the house and get you". She sticks her tongue out at me and walks away. I roll my eyes and walk to homeroom and shoot a quick text to J telling him to meet me on the roof top garden at lunch.
My normal morning classes went by boring as usual, now it's time for lunch. I grab my Bdubs out of my locker and head to roof. I spot Jacob at the bench by the roses.
" So what you wanna talk to me about shorty", he says as he chews on his burger from Culvers. I tell him about my conversation with Tay.
" I think you should go", he says as he sips on his sprite. I look at him confused.
" Just because ole dude gone be there don't mean you can't have fun. Plus you been spendin more time with me than Taylor and your other friends I know they miss you and you don't wanna make it seem like you not rockin' with them anymore."
" I just don't wanna be in a awkward situation, I mean I havent talked to Lucas in like 3 weeks."
" Ok so, ignore that nigga, don't let him bother you. You goin to have fun and chill thats it."
" You right, imma go."
" I ain't gone tell you nothin' wrong. Gone ahead have fun and just call me if you need me to come shut some shit down." I laugh and shake my head. We finish our food and talk about random stuff as usual until the bell ring signaling 5th period.
" Ight, lil nigga I gotta get to gym I'll see you at the end of the day", he says as he stands up. I stand up and playfully push pass him. He turns me back towards him and pulls me into a hug. I melt in his arms.
" Don't leave me without sayin' see ya later lil girl."
" See ya Jacob." He lets me go and leaves me with my heart beating out of my chest.

Hey guys, please comment and give me feedback, and ask questions if you need me to clarify anuthing. I appreciate the criticism. Thanks for reading, sharing and voting- shy 💙