Chapter 14

Serena's POV:

The others talked quietly amongst themselves while Darien watched them with cold eyes, still not pleased that they were here. Darien finally looked down at me and his eyes immediately softened. His voice was quiet but serious, "You are mine. I will kill anyone who tries to separate us."

I blinked in surprise at his words. Possessive much? I knew that it was the bond though. The bond was obviously affecting me as well since that detail didn't bother me. Somehow, I had a hunch that he was quite serious. I just wished that it didn't have to come to death. I had lost too many of my own family, besides, anyone who was killed would also leave behind those who cared about them.

I replied quietly, "Surely death isn't the only answer." I had never been much for death. When you lived on the streets, you realized just how fast things could change and how fragile life really was.

Darien leaned down to gently place a kiss on my forehead, "It is the only thing so far that has permanently stopped those who wished you harm."

I blushed slightly, that wasn't quite how I had imagined our first kiss would be, in a room with three people who considered me an unwelcome addition. The two across from us were watching us with stunned expressions. I wasn't sure why Darien's actions shocked every Tarulk who saw us, as if we were doing something that simply wasn't supposed to happen.

Darien followed my gaze and growled faintly at the two who were openly staring at us. They swiftly turned their attention to what Nick was trying to show them. Darien seemed to have calmed down, but I was still confused about why all three had reacted so strongly to how Darien treated me.

Darien spoke quietly, "Most Tarulk do not like contact, even from our own kind. It is uncomfortable even for those who chose to be mates. Direct skin contact with most other races, including humans, is actually painful. Only soulmates are immune to the discomfort. The fact that we touch is surprising to them."

My mind slowly wrapped around that little tidbit of information. At least I now understood Nick's glove comments. Tristan looked over with a frown, "Don't spill too many of our secrets to her. Those scientists have both of your faces plastered all over the news saying that you kidnapped her. You may have held up in that place, but I doubt she will last long if they get their hands on her."

Darien snarled at him, and I quickly held his hand in mine in hopes that he wouldn't pull away from me. Darien wrapped one arm tighter around me as he glared at Tristan, "They are never getting her."

Tristan held up his hands in a gesture of peace, "I am just saying."

"Well don't. I can read your opinion clearly enough from here."

Tristan gritted his teeth, but looked back at the sketches in a sullen silence. I was confused once more. Admittedly, I had a good idea of their opinion of me, but Darien was clearly referring to something else.

Darien glanced down at me and his face softened. It was always startling how his expression changed whenever he looked at me. It was like he was a completely different person. "You are confused." It wasn't a question.

I shrugged, "Yes, but I kind of agree with Tristan. If anyone did corner me, I am not the kind who can hold up under torture."

Darien's eyes darkened as he growled – at me. He had never growled at me before and it shocked me, even though I somehow knew that he would never harm me. "They will never take you from me. You are MINE." In a lightning-fast move, he had disentangled his hand from mine and pulled me up into his arms. I almost squeaked in surprise. Shit, that man was fast when he wanted to be.

He was still sitting, but he had me curled up in his arms like a football as he held me protectively. It was exactly how he had carried me out of the lab. I blushed slightly in embarrassment. I had gotten used to sitting on his lap, since that was about the only place he had let me sit all day. This was a bit too much for my comfort level, although I could actually feel the pull of the bond stir as it tried to mess with my mind so this position wouldn't bother me either.

I hadn't realized just how much the bond could affect my mind. It tried to make anything regarding Darien easy and natural. Considering how I reacted to most men, the bond had its work cut out for it, although it had made startling progress without me realizing it.

I stirred in his arms, wishing to be put down since our two new guests were staring at us in shock. Nick was pretending to ignore us, but he was watching out of the corner of his eye. Darien only held me closer, refusing to let go. With a resigned sigh, I relaxed in his hold, it wasn't as if I was going to win against his strength.

He put his face in the crook of my neck as he continued to hold me. Nick subtly nudged Clair's foot. She jumped before getting Tristan's attention as they softly discussed the drawings in front of them. Clair spoke quietly to Nick, "When did he find her? I have never seen someone react so strongly."

Nick sighed, "It's complicated. Technically, he first saw her about 48 hours ago, but they didn't come into direct contact until yesterday afternoon. They were forcibly separated not long after and that seems to have severely unsettled the bond."

Tristan frowned, "That still doesn't make much sense. Just because the bond removes any pain or discomfort from contact, it doesn't mean that they should be quite so... clingy... I know it will pull them together, but most of the force fades within the first day."

Nick shrugged, "It should settle by tomorrow evening at the latest." Nick looked over at Darien, "Darien, what was the best way to get past these stairwell doors?"

Darien reluctantly lifted his head from where it rested in my neck, "Those doors are strong enough that you will need the passcodes. I know the ones for the lower twelve floors, but never got any further than that."

Clair blinked in confusion, "Then how did you get out?"

"The bond increased my strength and I was able to kick them down."

Tristan sighed, "Well, it looks like you are leading in that case."

"No." Darien's tone was flat and cold.

Tristan frowned, "Why not? You are the only person who can break down those doors."

Darien didn't budge, "I am not leaving Serena and she is not going anywhere near that town. It isn't up for debate."

Tristan started to argue, but Nick interrupted him with a shake of his head. Tristan took the hint and turned back to the papers as they tried to work out a plan that wouldn't come crashing down around their ears at the first door. They were worried about the electrical weapons that Darien had told Nick about. Darien finally released me enough that I slid down to sit sideways on his lap.

Darien lowered his lips near my ears and spoke softly, "I do not agree with keeping information from you, especially when it is about me. I do not wish you to have any reason to distrust me. I have an ability that is uncommon among the Tarulk. It is called Reading. If someone is in close proximity, I can often get a read on them. Usually just stuff like their dominant emotions or sometimes glimpses of images in their mind. Some people are harder to read than others. I can tell that Nick isn't happy that you are human, but he can stuff it. I love you the way you are."

He said he loved me. I blushed as my own heart echoed the emotion. He chuckled lightly, "I can sense that by the way." I blushed deeper and hid my head against his chest. His arms circled me loosely, as if he couldn't bear to let me go.

He rested his chin on my head as he watched the other three make their plans.

-----------------

Author's Note:
Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I hope you are enjoying it!

If you like it, please vote on each chapter. Such support means a lot to me. :)