Chapter 26 ~ The Battle

Jay’s P.O.V

The afternoon sun beats against my thick fur as I run besides Penny through the forest heading towards the battle ground. Our paws pounded against the forest floor with thuds sending the nearby wildlife scattering.

I growled lowly in the back of my throat as the sounds of war began to get louder and louder. The adrenaline was pumping through my veins pushing me to run faster to get to my pack quicker to protect them from harm.

I could clearly hear the growls and the clashing of bodies coming from up ahead, with a new found determination I shot through the trees like a bullet and rammed into an unsuspecting rouge. He landed on his side with a crack and didn’t get back up.

One down and about hundreds more to go.

A menacing growl escaped my upturned lips as I stalked my prey; the growl was also a way of alerting my pack that I was here. I stayed low to the ground so as three rouges circled me. If I stayed low they would think I was smaller and weaker making me look like an easy target but boy were they in for a surprise. I kept my ears pricked to listen to their next move and my eyes never left them.  I stayed rooted in place as the rouges started to tighten their circle closing in on me. One of them growled and launched at me but I dodged and took out the rouge that happened to be in my way. Now there was just two circling me. They decided to go for a different tactic this time as they both charged at me, one aiming for my neck and the other my back. I managed to avoid getting my neck ripped to pieces and killed the rouge but I wasn’t so lucky in avoiding the attack to my back. His teeth sank into my flesh; I howled in pain and rolled over onto my back to get the rouge to release his hold. I put all on my weight onto his muzzle that caused him to release his hold on me; he was momentarily stunned so I took that opportunity to sink my own canines into his neck crushing his windpipe. I dropped him to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

I quickly scanned the area looking for my friends and mate. I couldn’t find my friends amongst the hundreds of bodies but I did manage to find Cameron holding his own up against a group of rouges. I stared at him in awe as he went from one rouge to another; he looked so graceful yet terrifying. I admired him some more when I noticed a mud coloured rouge sneaking up behind him.

“PROTECT MATE!” My wolf screamed at me, panic was evident in her voice. I didn’t need to be told twice. I charged over to Cameron. The wolf leapt and before he could connect with Cameron’s body I intercepted him knocking him to the ground with me on top. I snarled at him before I ended his life.

“Stay with mate.” My wolf ordered. I wasn’t about to argue with her because I didn’t want to leave his side now that I’d found him.

I looked over my shoulder and my eyes immediately connected with my mates, I could clearly to the pride he had for me but worry and fear was also present. I trotted over to him and licked the side of his face affectionately.

“Thanks sweetheart,” he licked me back. “But next time please don’t scare me like that again.”

“I’ll try not to.” I said nuzzling his neck making him purr.