28 | Just A Roommate

The next day, you weren't quite so confident.

Hugging your arms close to your chest, bag loosely hanging around your shoulders, steps small and hesitant. You kept your head down, not the same girl as you were yesterday when you walked into the campus.

You were scared.

The way you had reacted when Taehyung had kissed you...you felt embarrassed. Ashamed. You barely managed to dodge the temptation of skipping, what with the level of fear that had risen in you regarding your boyfriend.

What would be in his eyes if he looked at you right now? Distaste? Incomprehension? Or maybe the worst of all...nothing.

The sense of security you had felt when wrapped up in your roommate's strong arms, had all but flown out of the window as you walked in.

It wasn't just the sudden danger that your new relationship was in that scared you, it was what your supposedly platonic relationship with your roommate could become. As much as you tried to avoid them, your feelings had been getting the best of you, and you weren't so sure that you saw Jimin as nothing more than a friend now. There was something between the two of you, something that you felt for him, that he didn't feel for you, that could become something much, much more, and destroy much more than it had created.

Your eyes flickered everywhere, feeling yourself shrink under millions of gazes, calculating and curious alike. The same reason you weren't quite yourself when he'd kissed you—because you had tried to become someone you were not.

You weren't exciting. You were just...you.

And your growing insecurity led to the thoughts of wanting to evade Taehyung for the rest of the day.

Not the best tactic, but you had no idea what you were supposed to do.

The cafeteria was bustling like every other day when you entered. Nothing had changed—about it. You, with your new insecurities, felt left out, like you didn't belong, as other people around you laughed and joked and pointed fingers.

Your eyes darted around, trying to locate your boyfriend's position so it would be easier for you to avoid him.

It hadn't been hard, so far, because you knew all the spots Taehyung usually occupied and knew to steer clear of them. It was kind of sad, really, how much you had noticed him and his little habits—you wiped the sudden smile off your face, straightening and pressing back your shoulders. You fucked up, idiot.

All your effort went crashing down when you decided to visit the washroom. (Hey, a girl needs to pee.)

It had been fine until you exited the place. Well, exited the place only to walk into someone standing directly in front of the door. Which was a little creepy, but not really relevant.

Eyes wide, you looked up at the person you had just bumped into, momentary anxiety kicking in.

And then you wished you hadn't.

The man who had crashed into you had messy dark hair, hands steady as they supported your elbows, dark eyes lined with eyeliner, deep, as if staring into your soul. You froze in fear, wanting to run away, but at the same time, unable to look away.

You couldn't hear anything else as his eyes locked onto yours, as if you were numb with worry.

Then Taehyung smiled.

"Y/N!" He grinned, his hands lowering from your elbows to your waist, immediately moving to steady you. "Where have you been all day? I've missed you."

You blinked, still in shock, managing a nervous smile as you stared at him. He isn't mad?

"Are you still hung up on yesterday?" he asked impulsively, then shook his head. "Wait, I shouldn't have said it like that. I'm really sorry, baby, I shouldn't have done that. I didn't realise you weren't ready, and I would've controlled myself if I'd known you didn't want to."

You were stumped. He'd been looking to apologize all this time, and here you were, freaking out about nothing.

"I..." You opened and closed your mouth, like a goldfish. "Uh."

How eloquent.

Taehyung's lips twitched into an awkward, slightly worried smile as he noted your reaction. His hand went to the back of his head automatically, and he didn't even notice as he touched the nape of his neck in worry that he had fucked up completely. "Are you okay? Do you need a break? Am I bothering you? Wait, I shouldn't be this close if you're still not comfortable—"

"I—no, that's okay," you amended hurriedly, trying for a more casual smile. "I should've talked to you about it instead of leaving you hanging like this, it's my fault too."

His bottom lip pouted in a small, subconscious action that you had seen him execute multiple times. It was one of his softer quirks, and it brought a slight smile to your own face. Maybe you were drowning, you thought, as you remembered Jimin's words from the previous night. Or rather, that morning. "Oh, no, it's natural that you would feel awkward around me. I should've been more mindful of your body language."

"Yes, you should have, but at least you understand that," you said softly, fear all but gone. "And you were mature enough to apologize for it. That's more than I could ask for, Taehyung. Thank you." But Jimin can never care that way, he can never drown for me.

He blinked. "So you're not mad?"

"A little."

His lips parted.

"Just kidding," you said, smiling wider. "I'm sorry I made you worry so much."

After all, I'm just a roommate.

|

Jimin watched the scene unfold with a worried gaze, unknowingly biting his lip.

Though he hadn't been able to hear the words you two had exchanged, he had understood the gist of the conversation, and was worried.

He wanted to curse you, to yell at you for letting him kiss you. He knew he was just being jealous, but he couldn't help it.

He knew that, though, in a way, after having spent so much time with you, he had realised that you weren't very experienced in this kind of thing. In this case, at least, you were about as experienced as a ten year old.

Jimin was still pissed over the fact that Taehyung had kissed you like that, had tried to claim you. He didn't want to imagine him with you, at all.

He knew he was being overprotective and possessive again, but he didn't know how to get rid of his feelings. Jimin didn't remember the last time he'd been attracted to a girl not because of her body, and he didn't know how to handle these new feelings. The new temptations, the new yearnings.

The way he sometimes wanted to hold you while he slept, instead of wanting to sleep with you, wanting to kiss you when you were being cute instead of trying to make out with you, wanting to wrap you up in his arms and keep you safe, instead of getting a view up your skirt.

He sighed and turned away, knowing that these new emotions would get him nowhere. He'd already lost you to Taehyung—and let's face it, he was probably never going to get you in the first place.

Jimin wasn't someone a girl would date, he was just everyone's one night stand. He was just a fuckboy.

He was just a roommate.

||

I wish I was your coffee mug so I could kiss your lips every morning.

Thank you so much for 11K+ reads, kittens!

I J-hope two updates (sometimes more, sometimes less) a week are enough to feed you. I hope you guys understand my situation, but by all means, keep reading!