Drop The Ball

At the off-season home of the Mewis sisters and their girlfriends, New Year's Eve was a night to celebrate with new friends. Sammy Jo flew in from California to spend some time with Morgan and her family in New Hampshire before the pair would go onto Philadelphia for the United Soccer Coaches Convention and NWSL Draft, while Jen Hoy and Danielle Colaprico came from the latter's home in New Jersey for the party.

Steph: PAAAAAAAAAAARTAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kristie (to Morgan): And this with no alcohol in her system.

Morgan: Wonder how she'll be at the post-draft party on the 18th.

Steph: I'll stay sober, because I know that I won't have enough time to drink the draftees under the table. And because Kristie says she has a surprise for that weekend that I need to be in good shape to receive.

Jen reached over and took Danielle's hand in hers, hoping that others will pick up the hint without them having to announce it.

Steph: Are my eyes deceiving me, or are two of my former Red Star teammates HOLDING HANDS?!?!

Danielle blushed, then gave Jen a soft gaze.

Jen: No, they're not. We talked briefly after the semifinal about us seeing each other more during the off-season since we live fairly close to one another. Then I got picked up by the Hearts and she was offered an opportunity to go to Sky Blue as part of the trade that sent Sam and Abby to Chicago. We had been with each other for a few days following Moe's non-wedding and had plans to meet up on that Saturday in Philadelphia. With our clubs being about an hour apart and the two of us more or less back home, the "whatever" that happened in Philly that day took off after I visited her the weekend before Christmas. We went to dinner at Danielle's favorite restaurant and she asked me if I'd be interested in "seeing" her. She didn't have to ask twice. Steph, I'm surprised your nosiness didn't root out my crush on her.

Steph: I thought something might be there, but I had my own mess with Kristie coming and then going and Moe comes in and her and Danny were glued to one another those last few weeks of the season.

Jen: True.....

Sam: I'm happy for the two of you. Could have pinned it about a year ago when you were playing in Australia, since you two seemed so cute together.

Danielle: She's always been in my mind, but when Moe came to the Red Stars, the chance of encouraging her to drop Fabrice was too good to not pursue it. When she decided to call off the wedding and her and Kelley made their confessions, I knew I had done the right thing, and getting to spend that time with Jen on the road told me that she was who my heart wanted. The trade home was the impetus to step forward and tell her, and as she said I didn't have to ask her twice about us dating.

As the clock moved its way past 11:45, Sammy Jo got Abby's laptop set up to call in the party in Fayetteville being hosted by Kelley and Moe, where Lindsey, Emily, Savannah, Sarah, EJ, and Becca were joining the two new Courage players for an evening of revelry. The connection established and the call placed, the eight of them gathered around the computer to yell once the request was accepted. Kelley answered the call and got a rousing "Happy New Year" from the Allston crowd. The Georgia crew came over to Kelley and her iPad, then on 3 sent a collective "Happy New Year" in return. Kristie asked Savannah to get Sarah to show her Christmas gift from her to her and the rest of their group. Sarah lifted her hand to the screen, displaying the rose gold and diamond infinity ring she got from Savannah.

Kristie: Pretty!!! SavvyJ, you've got some good taste.

Savannah: Thanks, Miss Always-Looks-Good! I thought she'd appreciate the coloring and design as being different than the standard ring.