02 [ 03 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

My mind was fuzzy as I awoke from my slumber, still tucked comfortably in Steve's covers. We'd both agreed that neither of us should have to sleep on the couch.

The remnants of a dream, where I was wrapped up in a tight embrace was soon being chased away. Although, I wasn't sure if it was just a dream or if I had really somehow wandered into Steve's arms sometime during the night.

It's been a long time since I've woken up like this and not in a state of panic. I groaned from the blinding sunlight in my face as my eyes flickered open.

The room was empty, making me wonder where Steve had gone off to.

I jump out of bed, changing out of my sleepwear before heading out the door.

The halls were empty too, no sign of the rest of the team anywhere.

I take the elevator up and it takes me to the bar. The place is still in a mess from last night's events, glass crunches underneath my shoes as I walked further into the room and up the stairs.

"He did a Banksy at the crime scene just for us." I could hear Tony's from down the hall.

"This is a smokescreen." Nat's speaks next, "Why send a message when you've just given a speech?"

I move closer to the room to see that the rest of the team had all already gathered there.

"Strucker knew something that Ultron wanted us to miss." Steve says.

"Yeah, I bet he-Yep, everything we've had on Strucker has been erased." Nat confirms.

"Strucker?" I asked as I entered the room.

Nat looks taken aback by my sudden appearance, a rare sight for such a highly trained spy.

"I thought you were sleeping." She says, exchanging a glance with Clint.

"I was." I state, folding my arms over my chest.

"Cam, I know how this looks-" Nat starts but is quickly cut off by me.

"I know I've been gone for a while, but I'm still part of this team, right?" I ask, making Nat sigh.

"You are." She replies, "But you're too close to this."

"So, you've decided to leave out of it?" I questioned.

The rest of the team refuses to meet my eyes as the conversation comes to an awkward silence.

"Cami-" Nat starts to speak again but is soon cut off again.

"Ultron killed Strucker." Tony says, then turns to Nat. "Don't you think she at least has the right to know that?" He asks, earning a glare from my Sister.

"Strucker's dead." I mumbled to myself.

I expected myself to feel relieved over the news, but instead, I'm left feeling numb.

"Well," I clear my throat, composing myself, "I know Strucker better than I'd like to admit. You'll be surprised at how much he likes to talk about himself when we were alone. I can help."