Run

(Samuel's POV)

Leaving her side wasn't easy, her sweet fragrance and warmth were pulling me back towards the bed. Sacrifices...sacrifices.

"Be careful," she said. "Shall I come?"

Great!

The floor was freezing cold beneath my bare feet, reminding me of the pleasantries I was leaving behind. I never knew about the feeling of being cold, not until I'd become a human. My poor senses were bombarded with challenges and yet were not designed to deal with them. What a joke! I didn't want to go.

"Nope," I said. Blind I might be, but I could take care of the problem.

Heading to the brown color of the stairs, I began to wonder how one changed the colors of objects, whether one even could? Could this brown be made a pink just to add some variety to my daily experience? Unlike the rooms which permeated the colors of its occupiers, the stairs had many users, going up and down, who had left behind no trace of their essence. What remained behind was the same ugly brown each time. Hmmm....it was intriguing, for sure.

I tiptoed down careful not to make any sounds. There were no colors in my vision, not until I turned the corner. Grey. It reminded me of a curling cigarette smoke, slippery, foggy, mysterious. The color tagged behind like a sticker as the person walked slowly. This was no possessed soul, just as I thought, but I didn't recognize who the person was. I'd never seen him before, at least not after I'd become human. Even if I did, I wouldn't know how to identify him, colors had not been my specialty. Was that even a male? The strides gave nothing away but my gut told me yes. The person was light on the feet, gracefully sliding on the floor. The pace was unhurried. The sound of each foot rising in the air and stepping down was the same. It was as if he was on automat. Was he sleepwalking? Probably. Just like Diana was. Or was this all but a coincidence, a man pacing in the Mansion because he was unable to sleep? One could only hope.

He stopped and I held my breath, wishing the darkness of the hallway would hide my presence. I plastered myself to the wall. He didn't turn around which made me believe he was indeed sleeping. Instead, he turned right. He was heading for the gate. That took away any hope that I would be heading back to bed, back to Diana. I had to see this through. Was he going to open the gate?

How did the shadows speak to them? How did they master the talent to command them? Though I had heard their voices at times, I had not understood their speech. How did Diana? How did this person? Questions were piling up.

I turned the corner, I hadn't decided yet about when to interfere, how to wake him up. Should I talk to him? Should I shake him?

I was naive to think any of that was an option, had been an option. When the color of doom came crashing over my head, I knew I had misjudged the whole situation. The person was awake. Wide awake.

Just before my vision blackened, I had a last glimpse of the grey standing right before me. He had the oranges cloaking his grey like a warm blanket, he was thrilled. Thrilled to have captured me.

************

I tried to rise from the blackness that engulfed me like massive ocean waves. A headache throbbed right between my temples, like a beating heart. How I wish the body would heal itself. The curtain beneath my eyes, trying to trap the pain, made thinking impossible. Worse, I realized I couldn't move my arms or legs, I was tied like a mummy. Had I thought I had this?

"Hey!" I said but there was no one in the room.

Who was the mysterious figure? It was clear he was not in a hypnosis state. Why was he helping the dark shadows? I tried to move my hands, the harsh rope chaffed at my wrists each time I rubbed against them, trying to decompose the flakes that held them together. Each attempt cut my skin like a sharp knife. Soon, the crimsonness of the blood wet the pale braids coating them in a vivid red as the rope dug into my flesh deep enough to delve the skin.