Chapter 73: Firea vs. Rocks

I forgot to mention...on my birthday, I gave something to my whole family. Since they didn't know I had marked them with tags, and I didn't want to explain how I knew where they were if I ever popped out of nowhere, I gave them all necklaces.

     Of course, they weren't all necklaces. They also weren't ordinary.

     They were telepathy communication devices.

     If I hadn't made it, then this wouldn't be a real "OP protagonist goes to another world" plot, now would it? Wait, no...it's an otome game. But there hasn't been a single scene from the game that sounds vaguely familiar, so I've been treating it like a "beat the Demon king" type of game! Watch, next thing you know there'll be a hero summoning or something!

(Insert jinx here...)

     The devices allowed you to communicate up to a certain range, half a world apart being the farthest you can be. Otherwise it starts taking mana from you to connect and bridge the distance.

     For my parents and Anthem, they were necklaces. For my siblings, the younger three of them, they were bracelets. For me, it was a ring. For sure, in the future, it would be a useful ward against anyone that comes my way hoping for something more than friendship. Hm...I'll probably lose this. Oh well. I still have telepathy anyway because I'm part Dragon, I can use magic to substitute it, and this is just an excuse for my family anyway.

     Father decided this was the time to test it out for the first time, picking up the little silver charm that was shaped like a cross (he had no idea what the significance was or what it was supposed to represent), and pouring a bit of mana into it. He had heard how it worked before, but was still a little curious and abashed when he called out in his mind, Fir?

     Yes Father?

     The rest of the family was still figuring out how to make them work, Anthem being first along with Mother, Adri and Hera absolutely clueless, and Chord being silent as she listened in.

     What's that noise that just shook the house? And what's this black rock is that almost broke the barrier?

     ...That's a bit hard to explain, I gulped while in my normal voice, making sure I didn't slip up and use Knight's flirtatious tone.

     Care to try anyway?

     With all due respect, I don't think you'll like it. Besides, we don't need any help. We've got this situation perfectly under contro-

     The Demon, probably unable to read the mood, chose that exact moment to step on the minotaur. It let out an unearthly shriek, coating the Terror in the disgusting stuff and melding it to the ground before walking away with thundering footsteps.

     The minotaur was still alive, just enraged and trying to break out of the already hardened sludge to attack the Demon uselessly.

     Stars, are all the beasts in this world so mindless and stupid?

     Fir, Mother questioned, sounding like she had a frown on her face.

     Yes Mother?

     Answer your father.

     ...do you remember the curse wraith?

     This roar does not come from a mere curse wraith.

     I know, but this is related to that. Do you remember that it was summoned from inside the duke's mansion?

     Yes, and they couldn't find who did it.