Chapter 37

The next thing I know is chaos. In the darkness of the night,
the sounds of battle ring. People shouting, swords clashing, and the other sounds of Electras. A group of men, recognize me in the small groups of archers. They rush forward all looking at me. I grab an arrow. Frantically nocking, I aim to hit one in the calf. With a shout the man falls to the ground. The others quickly advance.

Only to be met by Paige's animals. A fox runs past my feet. A harmless looking squirrel lands on a man's face. He shoves the small animal off him. He dashes for me, drawing a small dagger from his belt. Seemingly out of nowhere, a vine comes and wraps around his waist. I turn to see the vine coming from Aslinn's hand. She flicks her wrist and the man goes flying across the battlefield.

I look at the melee fighters. I see Grayson battling three people at once. I send an arrow after one. I hit my target in the arm. Grayson looks at me and gives me a quick smile before turning back to battle.

I see a small shape running between peoples' legs. I see the figure shift into Alice. She lashes out with her claws at a man nearby. He gives a shout of suprise and turns around. Alice sinks her knife into his shoulder, with a triumphant smile. She shifts and pounces someone cornering Isa. Isa drives her saber into him, while Alice holds him to the ground.

Our small group of archers fight off all the men coming after me. Owen fires a volley at a surprising rate. He gets four arrows in the air before the first one his the ground.

Jerome shouts a warning before a massive shard of rock flies in the air. It lands in the midst of the black-clothed men, throwing bodies aside.

I feel an odd sort of energy as I fire arrows. I get an idea as a pair of Zeithman's thugs comes our way. I feel out for their minds and plant one thought in their mind. Fight for me. I smile as they turn and punch one of their former teamates.

I lose myself in the battle. Animals, arrows, vines, and boulders, rush past me. I hear Alice howling triumphantly somewhere. Grayson is standing at the base of the hill the archers stand on. He grips his sword in two hands. Suddenly the blade lights up in fire. Grayson wildly swings his fire blade. I nock an arrow to my bow and am suprised to see the tip on fire. I send it into a thug attempting to sneak behind Grayson.

A few more thugs lose their minds to me and turn to fight for us. I haven't controlled this many people before. It fills me with a sort of giddy energy.

For a while longer, I am lost in the chaos. I have read of many battles in books, but it's nothing compared to this. I am about to loose another arrow, when a single shout echoes through everything. "STOP!"

I'm shocked to see everyone on both sides instantly freeze. I look at all my friends beside me. Everyone instantly freezes in their battle positions. Everything looks like a creepy wax statue museum. My eyes are drawn by the movement of a single figure.

Zeithman walks up to me, a victorious smile on his face. He stops before me. I still have an arrow in my bow, pointed at the ground. He wears a fancy black button-up with black dress pants. In the middle of battle, he still has to look like a millionaire. I scoff. Who knows? He could be a millionaire.

I meet his gaze, not hiding the hatred on my face. "What do you want from me?" I snarl at him quietly.

Zeithman huffs and adjusts the cuffs of his sleeves. "I have been looking for you for a long time, Carly. Now after fifteen years, I have found you."

Whoever this man is, he must want me pretty desperately if he had been looking for me my whole life. "But why?" I ask.

"Have you heard the story of the humans uprising against the
Electra?" He asks.

I nod, thinking back to history class.

"Then you have heard of the certain human responsible?"

I nod once more.

Zeithman meets my gaze. "For years the Electra historians have searched for this one human." He pauses for a moment. "They never thought to look within their own."

"What are you saying?" I ask, nervous of where this is going.

Zeithman looks at me a long time before answering. "That human was my ancestor."

I gape at him, shocked. "What?! That can't be! You're an Electra!"

"And of course, the Electra never questioned when a new Electra suddenly sprang up." Zeithman continues. "A very powerful one,too. One with the ability to control minds. Our Lectra is not natural, Carly. It was cooked up in one of my ancestors. Really, no weakling could accomplish this." He gestures to the frozen people around us.

"I still don't understand what this has to do with me!!" I shriek. Without warning, I lift up my bow, aiming the point in between his eyes.

Zeithman laughs. "You don't want to do that."

"Oh really?" I ask, sarcasm dripping from my voice. "Because, right now, it seems like a good idea."

Zeithman looks at me with a superior look. "You do know that
Electra runs in families,right?"

I look at him not knowing what his question ment.

He looks at me with an odd look. And I hate the words that come out of his mouth. "Carly, you are my daughter."