Chapter XI

Worry for somebody else, other than my family and myself.

It was an unfamiliar feeling for me, an uncharted territory in a travel, if you may. Throughout, my very short, and very uneventful life - I had never felt the need to look out for others, but now, I realized how selfish I was. I was always mad at everyone, but myself. I was always blaming everyone else, but never myself. It was a brief realization - that had send my head into overdrive, I had now realized how bad of a person I actually was, these halls of one of the many hospitals in Los Angeles, had reminded me and replenished the feeling of guilt within - countless hours I spent crying about how bad I had it, I had never thought about how there were certain people, with certain issues - some similar to mine, some transcending beyond my limits.

It was on this gloomy Friday evening that I realized things had to change. I would strive to be a better person from now, maybe look at things from a different angle than I used to. The clock was about to strike twelve, signalizing the start of yet another day - Saturday. Nathan had been stuck in the surgery room for around five hours and twelve minutes, yes I have been counting - get over it. Allison had stopped pouring her eyes out, but stayed close to me in complete and utter silence. A silence filled with suspense and remorse, a silence that couldn't be easily broken.

We still had no news from the surgery room, no one said a word to us. Nurses passing by us in the halls had looks of sympathy - as if we were two lost teens, without a place in the world. Allison and I's moment had been interrupted by a continuous buzzing in my pocket - a buzzing that I wanted to ignore beyond any belief. No - it was not a vibrator, I don't carry those around, I don't own one either - sorry, not sorry. It was my phone, I had supposed someone was calling me, since I never got enough text messages or notification to send my phone into a non-stopping seizure.

I ignored the ringing for a while, it just wouldn't stop! I realized it was pretty urgent if they wouldn't drop the fact, that I did not want to talk to anyone, about anything. It was rather depressing to be this gloomy and anti-social. But what can you do, when one of your best friends is undergoing an important surgery - that could drastically change his life? Either way, I had to answer the phone and settle the business so I peeled away from Allison, who had seen distraught and confused for the moment. I didn't say a word and just pointed to my phone with was now in my hand, all I got was a nod from her and she looked at the operating room's double door, as if she was expecting someone to emerge immediately, and tell us that this was all a prank - I would kill for that about now.

I decided walking away a little before checking my damned phone, sometimes I enjoyed the sweet comfort of my dearest friend - that was my phone, of course, but right now? I wanted to smash the bitch in the nearest wall. I sighed, recollecting whatever was left of calm within my veins, I unlocked my phone screen and was immediately met by six missed calls, from none other than my dear mother - I had only now realized, I completely forgot about telling her everything that had unfolded through out this catastrophic day. I decided to dial my mother's number before she sent out a missing report. The line barely rung a single time and my mom's distraught voice filled my ear. "Oh honey! Thank God you answered, why aren't you home, are you staying with your friends?" I was not sure as to how to tell her what happened, so I sighed and tried to regain my composure. I was still silent, and my mother immediately felt as if something was wrong. "H-honey? Is everything alright..? Did something happen..?"