XI

There was a glass single-story building, transparent and glossy, allowing the sun's rays to pass through it

There was a glass single-story building, transparent and glossy, allowing the sun's rays to pass through it. It had a dirt floor, with dead plants decaying among it. Peter was standing in the center of the room and I progressed forward towards him, my feet crunching on dead leaves with every step.
We stood chest to chest, my eyes peering up at his and a tear uncontrollably running down my cheek from the energy of the lifeless vegetation. His thumb brushed my face and he smiled before pulling me close and pressing our lips together.
The room lit up brighter than the sunlight that was shining in, and the departed life among us reverted back into vivid green and released sweet scents...
"___!" I heard Peter scream.
My dream shattered and my eyelids sprung upwards to reveal reality.
We were in the dark motel room, Peter standing over me and cupping the sides of my face.
My hands were vibrating and energy was wildly bursting from my fingertips, with grayish blue streaming from one and a golden pink from the other. I quickly dissipated the energy and clasped my hands to my chest.
Peter stepped back,
"Are you okay? What was that?"
I swiftly rolled out of the bed and slipped on my jacket.
"Nothing. I'm fine," I said with my voice shaking as slipped on some shoes.
"Are you sure? That didn't seem like nothing."
I disregarded his statement and began to turn the knob of the front door.
"Wait!" Peter exclaimed.
He flashed over to my side of the room and grabbed my shoulder,
"___, what's going on?"
"I told you, I'm fi—"
"I don't know what's with you but you've been acting different ever since you got here. The only time you've seemed like yourself is when you weren't on whatever drug you keep injecting into your arm."
I turned back to face him, my cheeks crimson with embarrassment.
"How did you know?"
He glanced at the floor for a brief moment and peered back up to me as he replied,
"I saw it in your pocket when I checked your train ticket."
The room fell silent and I stared down at my feet. I couldn't look him in the eyes.
He added,
"We can get you help. There's places that deal with heroin addictions and things like—"
I held both of my hands in defense,
"Woah, woah. This isn't heroin, it's not like that."
I took a deep breath and ran my fingers through my hair before continuing,
"Look, it's a mutant gene suppressant, okay? As you can see my powers have been getting out of hand lately and I...I can't control them. I have these random explosions of energy, and tremors when I sleep and...and I just can't live with them anymore."
He grabbed my shaking hand and stated,
"Well, we can do something, right? We can talk to the Professor about it or...or maybe even Bo when we get him out."
I pulled my hand away and shoved it back into my pocket,
"I can't do anything, Peter. I've tried. I'm better off just trying to be normal, and if this serum is how I do that then that's what I'm going to do."
I whipped around and walked away into the familiar dark night air.
"What ever happened to 'mutant and proud'?" Peter called out behind me from the doorway.
A burst of anger heated my face as I shouted back, still continuing away from him,
"It died in the explosion!"
A burning sensation pained my sides as I realized the smoke coming from my pockets. I quickly pulled out my hands and saw that they were a glowing orange, hot like an oven.
Peter looked at me with a heartbroken expression and a tear ran down my cheek, searing with a hiss as it landed onto my heated palm.
"I'll be back in the morning," I whispered as softly as snowfall and walked off into no particular direction.