Chapter 77: Unexpected Holy Knights' Leader

Thérèse was able to keep up with me as I dashed through the trees like I was a ninja from a certain village hidden in the leaves, heading towards the Holy Knights' camp.

Honestly, I think she was the most eager to go purely because she hated the Church and wanted to stir up a little trouble. I didn't know what she was planning, but seeing her patting where I knew her hidden knives were and smiling gave me an ominous premonition.

We stopped high in the trees above the camp, not the slightest bit impressed by the majestic looking tents of silver and white. They were tall, uselessly tall to me, and very wide. The camp itself was in a very wide clearing that seemed to be man made, the smell of fresh cut wood wafting over from below us.

They were so pompous and self-important that they thought they could ruin the forest even more for their prissy selves? Don't like getting a little dirty?

I have a promise for you wusses! Knight hates you, so you better be prepared for some fire drills sometime during the night! For sure, this place is going down.

I glared at the encampment while Thérèse was grinning next to me, sensing my thoughts as I angrily glared at the trees.

"Are we going hunting tonight?" she asked me. I could've sworn she wiggled her eyebrows.

"That's not exactly something you ask a toddler like myself."

"Please, you are no toddler. We've all noticed by now, you are much more capable than you tend to show." The maid's grin widened as she shifted her position on the tree. I took a snapshot of that scene in my mind; in what manga have you ever seen a regular-looking maid just casually hanging out in a tree with her mistress, casually discussing the future demise of a few hassles...I mean Church members here? What web novel ever mentions that, huh? None. Wait, but this is reality...or is it-

     Ah, sorry. There were some funny-smelling mushrooms growing in a knot in the tree that I just realized I had my head next to. The Condition part of my Status told me that I was under abnormal influence from it, and that while my [Mushroom Resistance] went up I was still hallucinating...being affected by something called [Paranoia of Reality]...maybe I should pick this one up to experiment later...

"So that means you'll stop treating me like I need help all the time?"

"I never did," she shook her head. "I just played along. Besides, it wouldn't do for a maid to let her mistress do everything herself."

"Fine," I sighed, taking out some tea leaves from Storage to wave around in front of my nose while discreetly putting the other stuff inside of the magic space. It was highly possible that Thérèse was pretending not to notice. "So what do you propose? We're outside of Basusda, on the other side of the monstrous forest from the Demon. There are a bunch of mischievous scoundrels at our feet, none of which will be spared when Knight comes through. My father's down there, and it's safe to assume he's only there because of his title. He hates the Church, right?"

"His family has...strongly disliked the Church, probably since it's very founding. He wouldn't have anything against a little revenge, as long as no one dies."

"Tch."

"Were you going to release some nice spells on them, unsuspectingly?"

"Perhaps," I looked away lightheartedly.

"Now we're talking! I thought you'd be a wimp like the rest of them, good to see you inherited something from my side of the family," sighed the assassin maid with relief.

"I'm not from your family, but you're not wrong. I did pick up a thing or two from you..."

The personality of Knight, Knight's morals, among a few other things...