Emergency Exit Please

In the lingering moments as we stared at the other, it was debatable who could be considered the most shocked.

Years have passed by since I met those haunting eyes and my mind is pulled back to the past, into the vivid memories of a grey eyed boy with mischief hiding behind every smile.

There was no way I could ever not recognise that boy, who always stood so close to me till the day he was too far for me to reach.

There were thousands of questions I wanted to carve in wood and smash in his face but plagued in worry, I could only ask.
"Are you dead?"

But long before I could roll out the last word he had moved. His steps turning into impatient strides as he crossed the crystal waters like it were solid ground.

But it seemed he was unable to answer for he only stared, his eyes fearful and brows furrowed in alarm. Enough for me to turn back to confirm whether there was a monster standing behind.

Suddenly half way past, he seemed to have realized something crucial and his brows eased and his fear dissipated into shock.

In the end he chose to materialise a feet away startling my poor heart into overdrive that I stumbled back with weak knees and fell hard on my back.

"Sorry." He apologised in a rush and I noticed the shift in hands that had most likely reached out but never caught hold.

"Its okay." I reply and stand up dusting off in awkwardness. "It's really you." My eyes trail up to meet glacial orbs, secretly sore for his hands were the first to scoop me up and the last to ever let me fall.

But maybe my sadness wasn't as hidden as I believed as his hand hesitantly reach out but it still falls back to his side.

I close shut my eyes for a moment of clarity till a voice rings out in pain.

"Ahh." He steps back rubbing his jaw after my headbutt. "You violent child."

"I am not a child!!" I yell red faced with fat salty tears trickling past my lashes. He grows stiff, his shoulders rigid and tense as he watches my outburst.

"You left!"

As his flawless face morph in pain I realize with a pang of guilt that he couldn't stand me crying. "Why did you leave?" I tug at his robes as his face stays downcast , his fists trembling as if he was holding back.

"Rain." He suddenly calls taking me aback by the familiarity of the treasured nickname. "I can't....." he sighs. "You shouldn't be here."

"Is there a reason?" My grip loosens and I suddenly feel the urge to rub his pretty face in mud. As rage takes over, I turn on my heels determined to run away, away from the same person I prayed I could meet again.

The steps I took were hastened and rushed but of anticipation that he would stop me, tell me that he would explain.

But the distance only grew till my forehead hits a sturdy chest with a pair of hands steadying me by the shoulder.

Blue eyes brighter than the noon sky looks down in worry. Zeus then turns his gaze to the black clad figure who had frozen like a brush stroke in a painting.

"What do we have here?" Comes a voice from above and am gently nudged behind him.

"Take your hands off of her!"

Zeus and I instantly freeze by the blade like hostility. Never once have seen such an expression upon his face, never such rage as he advances forward while we stand rooted in lasting shock.

"Why? Because you can't?" Zeus is the first to regain but provocatively chides and maybe he had already foreseen the consequences for the shield was up even before the attack was decided.