Chapter 24.3 - The Raid Ⅲ

James shakes his head and mutters to himself, "I must be tired." After all, there weren't many who could match his skill and even less who would dare make an enemy out of him. Ignoring the sensation, James carefully finally makes his way to an apartment and lets himself in. A woman in a red dress sits in a chair calmly reading her book. Her black cat ears and tail flicker slightly at the sound of movement, but doesn't react.

James smiles lovingly at the woman whom he loved, "Jane Katz." "Are you hungry, where do you and the baby want to eat?" James asked. Jane was only three months pregnant and her belly had yet to show, but soon enough her stomach would begin to show.

Jane Katz icily says, "Then tell me, why you got engaged to Izo Reed, just yesterday?"

James smiles warily and says, "I did so to because of our parent's arrangement. Whichever family breaks the engagement would lose half of their businesses. I didn't think it's fair to either family to lose what they have worked so hard to create because of a promise or bet made by our grandfathers. Besides I can promise you this, I have no interest in her and neither does she I swear."

Jane narrows her eyes and says, "You better be telling the truth, James Duke or you will never see me or the baby again."

James pales in understanding. He knew exactly what Jane was capable and that was exactly what made them fall in love with each other.

Jane climbs to her feet and quietly says, "Well then, in that case, I want to eat fish and shrimp. I've been craving seafood as of late."

James happily says, "Alright, let's go out."

The couple goes out as a fluffy foxlike fur ball appears in the empty apartment. Making a tsk-tsk sound, Pucca disappears from the apartment now that its mission was done. Hopefully, Pucca's cruel master would be satisfied and leave Pucca alone from now on.

*

Izo is eating chips when Pucca appears in front of her and says, "I found a suitable knight candidate."

"Oh, who?" Izo curiously asked.

Pucca warily says, "Master already knows the individual, James Duke."

Izo sprays Pucca with chip fragments as Pucca blinks in disgust. Izo coughs and says, "Please explain."

"That man's cat-woman is pregnant, she's already three months along," Pucca grumbled back, while removing the chip fragments from Pucca's fur.

Izo's eyes narrow with interest as she muses out loud, "If I recall correctly the Duke family infamous for hating demi.'s as a wolfman is responsible for the death of the previous head of the Duke family, Wilbert Duke. Yes, without a doubt, should the relationship be exposed, James Duke will be tossed out of his family."

Pucca lets out a chirp as if asking, "Can I go now, you're wasting my time."

Izo says, "You can go, but first, I have one more thing I need you to do."

Pucca sighs in exasperation as Izo whispers something into Pucca's ear. Pucca nods Pucca's head at the easy duty, before vanishing into a mist. Izo smiles happily to herself, before getting to her feet and heading out. It was going to be most interesting, to say the least.

*

James Duke is walking Jane back to their apartment, when a tiny foxlike creature appears before them with a note in its mouth. The fluffy fox kit jogs up to James and pointedly lays the letter at his feet. Jane smiles and reaches to pet the fluffy ball, but the kit runs away and disappears around the corner.

James brows furrow as he reads the contents of the letter. Jane worriedly says, "Is something wrong?"

James smiles and says, "It's just an invitation to a stag party from my friend. I have to go now, but I'll call you in a bit." Jane nods in understanding as James places a kiss on her cheek and hastily hurries away.

James Duke's eyes turn icy as he makes towards a café on the outskirts of Emerald City. The café is empty at this hour as James makes his way to a single table on the second floor. A thin woman with dark hair patiently waits as she sips a cup of spiced hot chocolate at the table.

"What is the meaning of this?" James Duke said as he furiously came to stand in front of Izo Reed.

"Please have a seat and stop making such a scene," Izo calmly stated, before gently setting the white porcelain cup on its plate.

James coldly studies Izo Reed, a woman with frosty eyes and an arrogant cold face. Angry, but wary, James takes a seat as instructed across from her. "What do you want?" James coldly asked.

Izo smiles her usual chilling smile unware how villainous her faced looked to James Duke. "You must realize my surprise upon finding out that the man I am engaged not only has a woman on the side, but one that is pregnant. Should such a scandal get out, that certainly will not fit with the rules setup to keep our affairs low key," Izo matter-of-factly stated.

"Are you threatening me?" James Duke growled as he dangerously leaned forward across the table.

"No, it is merely an observation and a fact," Izo flatly stated back.

James leans back into his seat and flatly replies, "Alright, I'll bite. What is that you want?"

"I want you to become my knight," Izo calmly proposed.

"Oh, and what does that job position entail, if I may so pointedly ask?" James muttered back.

"Before I explain the details of the job, I want you to decide on whether you will accept my proposal," Izo purposefully declared.

"The position sounds rather suspicious if you ask me, given that you are avoiding the question," James pointedly inquired.

"Yes, will the nature of the job itself is rather unbelievable," Izo retorted back.

"I won't accept so easily a job that could suddenly make me an assassin," James growled back.

"Hmm, yes, I suppose so. In that case, I'll have to give you a reason, won't I?" Izo calmly said. James Duke narrows his eyes at the answer the air becomes tense and this time around it would not be so easy to dispel.

Advertisement