Chapter 23 ~ BEN DROWNED

Today had been rough. 

It had been rough for everyone involved. 

By this point, they were ready to pass out from exhaustion. 

Keith was on the verge of tipping over. 

Jennifer was ready to drink the whole bottle she had left in the kitchen. 

Christopher was about to fall asleep until both his wife and son kicked him in the shins. 

"Fuck." He said. 

"Hurry up, mom still has to get Brook up." Keith walked over to the window sill and sat down.

"Chill out kiddo. Her friends aren't here yet." Jennifer said. 

"What friends did you invite?" 

"Uh. Kylie, that Liza girl, Jana, and some other girls from the pageants." Jennifer shrugged, adjusting a pink streamer. 

"Oh." Keith sighed. "Just wanted to know." 

Being stuck with a bunch of squealing 7-year-olds? 

just how he obviously wanted to spend his weekend. 

______________________________________________________

"I'm seven!" Brooklynn bounced on her bed, already dressed in her pink and white dress, with a matching tiara, with a sparkly 7 on the front of it. 

"Today's my birthday! I'm so happy!" She laughed, plopping down on the bed, bouncing off of it, landing on her feet. 

Brooklynn smiled at herself in the mirror. She was the prettiest princess! She pressed her tongue through the gap of her missing front tooth and giggled. She had lost those teeth a couple days ago. She hadn't put them under her pillow for the tooth fairy yet. Mommy said the tooth fairy only came for 7-year-olds. But now that she was seven, she could put them under her pillow without having to worry about the tooth monster taking them! 

Brooklynn glanced at the bookshelf behind her and gasped. Mommy probably wasn't going to come and wake her up for another hour or so, so why not read one of her books until then? 

She closed her eyes and then spun around in a circle, eventually stopping and pointing at a book on the shelf. 

"Princess Mary and Charlie the Penguin: the junior noveliz... I don't know that word! But yay!" Brooklynn eagerly grabbed the book off the shelf and hopped back up onto her bed. 

"Once upon a time, Princess Mary lived in a huge castle." She started reading. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jen, go get the door, I'll wake Brooklynn up." Christopher said, walking up the stairs. 

"Mom's in the bathroom doing her hair. I'll get them." Keith got up the from the window sill and opened the door. 

"Hi! You must be Liza's mom. I'm Keith, Brooklynn's brother. How are you doing, Liza?" 

The dark haired girl held up two thumbs up and then high fived Keith. Liza's mom carried in the gift and set it on the table. Keith led the mother to the kitchen to meet up with the other parents. The other moms had already had wine glasses in their hands, laughing about what Carlie said at the PTA meeting. 

________________

Christopher had finally gotten to Brooklynn's room. The door was covered in stickers and smiley faces drawn in pencil. He smiled. He knocked on the door, then opened it. 

"Hi daddy! Guess what? Guess what, daddy!" 

"Hmm, what?" he said, stroking his chin. 

"It's my birthday! I'm seven years old now!" She grinned. 

"Wow! That's awesome! We're gonna go downstairs and then we're going to have a party later. Ready?" 

"Okay!" She grinned, racing out of the room, her book lying on the bed. 

______________________________

"Surprise! Happy birthday, Brooklynn!" All the little girls and Keith shouted as she ran down the stairs. 

"Wow! Thank you!" She went around and hugged each and every one of the kids, including her brother.

As the day progressed, the kids moved from one activity to another, from painting to playing with the dolls to opening presents and eating cake. 

All at once, the day was over. 

Liza, Kylie, and all the other girls and their parents went home. 

Wrapping paper laid strewn about in the living room. Various toy boxes surrounded Brooklynn. Her tiara was crooked due to a little wrestling match between Jana and her. 

"Hey Brookie, why don't you get ready for bed? We'll bring your presents up while we clean up." Keith said, bending down to pick up some plastic wrap. 

"Oh, alrighty." She smiled, grabbing a book and her new doll and heading upstairs. 

"Damn, who knew 7-year-olds were this messy?" 

"I don't know." 

______________________

"And then Kylie tried to take MY new dolly! Can you believe that? She's a meanie. I don't like her anymore." I ranted to the dolls lined up on the edge of the toybox. I had lined them up by height and hair color. 

I had already changed into my pajamas and fuzzy slippers. My brand new doll, which Kamie gave me, sat on my lap. I named her Lilly because she looks like a Lilly. She has short red hair and hazel eyes. 

Mommy came in and closed my curtains and told me that I needed to go to sleep. 

"But big girls don't have to go to sleep!" I protested. 

"Yes, yes they do. Mommy's a big girl and she's going to bed right now." Mommy smiled and walked out of the room. 

"Well, I don't want to go to sleep! Big girls get to stay up late." 

"No, they don't." someone said. 

"Yes, they do, Keith said so!" 

"Your brother's delusional, if I'm being honest." 

"What does that mean?" I said, turning around to face them. 

"He's a bit of a weirdo." The boy smiled, revealing a familiar smile that I knew. 

"BEN! You're back!" I yelled, hugging him really hard. 

"I told you I would be back." He said, bending down and hugging me even tighter. 

"Ah, dude, I need to breathe." I laughed. 

"Ugh fine." BEN started laughing as well. 

"I see you got a little bit taller AND you lost your teeth. How do you feel about that?" 

I shrugged. "Okay, I guess?" 

"Okay, so I gotta leave soon but I have to do two things first." 

"Are you going to come back?" 

"Of course. But, hold on, ugh I hate this bag." He was digging through the bag he had brought in. 

"Found it! Here you go! Open it right now!" He said, practically bouncing up and down. 

"Okay," I grinned. 

Tearing open the wrapping paper, I saw that the gift was a box. "You're silly, BEN. You got me a box!" 

He sighed, but chuckled. "Open up the box, dum dum." 

I opened the box to see a book, more specifically a photo album. I flipped it open and saw pictures of BEN and me from about 3 years ago. I was really little! And I had all my teeth! 

"Woah." 

"Happy birthday, short stuff. I love you, Brooklynn." BEN said, hugging me once again. 

"I love you too, BEN."