Chapter 38

"What?!" I cry, nearly dropping my bow. I just barely keep it in my grasp. "It can't be! I already have a dad!"

Zeithman looks at me with an oddly smug smile. "In all the time you have been at this academy, Has it ever crossed your mind about how your "parents" are human, but you are Electra?"

I say nothing giving Zeithman an icy glare.

He does another unsettling smile. "Ah, so it has."

"Of course it hasn't." I say too fast.

Zeithman raises his eyebrows skeptically. "Don't fool yourself, daughter."

I hate the way he calls me daughter. It seems so unatural.
"But...how?" I ask, letting this insane man talk while I attempt to come up with a plan.

"Well," Zeithman begins. "Like I mentioned, our ancestors were humans. My father was so very bright for a human. Of course he knew about the Electra. He despised them. However he did know how powerful they are. He decided he would find a way to create an Electra."

My hangs open a little. Zeithman pays no attention and continues to explain. "He assumed a disguise of a college science professor. In his lab, he spent his whole life working on a machine to make a human turn Electra. His first plan was to use it on himself. He soon learned that my mother was pregnant with me. He was so overjoyed. First thing once I was born, he used the machine on me. Unfortunately he died during that. But it all played off because it worked."

I listen as Zeithman talks. It that emotion in his voice? "Wait a second," I ask, ready to catch the fault in his absurd story. "Who are the people I live with?"

Zeithman nods. "When I was still young and mischief, a few high-ranking Electra found out about me. They kept close watch on me after that. When you were born, the hid you and killed your mother. They convinced those two humans that you were really their child. They even planted fake memories. " His voice is edged with anger. "I made up a fake cult and searched for you for years." He pauses and looks at me for a long time. "Now I have found you." He shakes his head a little. "You look just like your mother."

I immediately aim the bow at him again. I try to reach out to my friends' minds. Unfreeze. I think. Nothing happens.

Zeithman laughs dryly. "Thought that would work, didn't you?" Without warning, he grabs the bow and rips it out of my grasp. He launches it into the air. I shriek as I see it land in the endless woods someplace. "Now," Zeithman says fiercely. "Your coming with me wether you like it or not!" All of the black figures instantly spring to action. "If you don't listen you-"

Zeithman is cut off from his speech as I feel the rush of air. Next thing I know, Zeithman is screaming as he wrestles a shadow in the sky. I look up, seeing nothing but a moving shadow occasionally blotting out a star in the night sky. Zeithman's thugs helplessly yell to their leader.

I realize this is my chance. While Zeithman is preoccupied, I unfreeze my friends. They all spring onto action, some attacking thugs. "Zeithman-" I begin.

"I know." Aslinn says from beside me. "We could all see it, but there was nothing we could do about it. It was really creepy."

"Yeah." Jerome agrees, grunting as he launches a rock into the air. I hear a voice from behind me.

"What is that?" Owen is staring at the sky, his mouth wide open.

Suddenly a shout comes from above and a see a dark shape fall from the sky. Zeithman lands on top of one of his men. "Get off me." He growls.

Everyone is staring at the sky in wonder. I look up and notice something I didn't before. Two red lights are in the sky, like car headlights. With another whoosh of air, the lights go to land on top of the school roof. I look down across the melee fighters.

"Ava!" I yell. She looks at me with a question in her eyes. "Get some light up there!" I yell pointing to the roof of the school. Ava understands and points her finger at the two pinpricks of light.
Everyone gasps at once. On top of the roof, is a small person dressed in black. Their long black hair covers their face. They make a small sound as the light shines on them. The person moves a bit of their hair out of the way, looking at us with bright red eyes. Then, slowly they unfold the giant, papery, wings from their back. I recognize the creature from the poster by Vandailia's bed. "It's Mothman." I breath.

"No it isn't." Owen says softly. "It's Vandailia."