Chapter 24.5 - The Raid Ⅴ

Izo waits long enough for James to come to his senses, but finally becomes exasperated and says, "James, the Gods do exist and always have. The God I serve is Cthulhu, but there are many others in the universe and many which you have heard from ancient tales of long ago. The gods of the fierce Norse, the Greek, and the Roman Gods, and many countless more. With time, you may even find yourself battling those who serve other gods. That is your duty to protect this Temple.

You are allowed to continue being an adventurer and live your daily life, but should the temple ever be in danger you will be instantly summoned back from wherever you are. That is the only condition to this job. If you wish to delegate some of your duties you may and I strongly urge you to gather more knights. You are the Captain of the Knights and have the ability to recruit more knights to protect the temple."

After a moment, having finally wrapped his mind around the situation, James says, "What's the pay for this job?"

Izo smiles thinly at admiring James Duke's business-oriented mind. "You will be paid in gold coins every month according to a set salary. And what is, I don't know yet since the system makes the payment automatically from the temple funds. But knowing the answer, it won't be small."

James nods his head thoughtfully and says, "Good, but I would like to request armor."

"You can buy armor and other needed items from my auction house," Izo innocently replied back.

James glares at Izo and says, "Fine, I will. But I want a reimbursement."

"Now can do, Cthulhu does not do reimbursements," Izo gleefully chortled back.

James snorts and mutters under his breath, "Cheapskate."

Izo happily says, "Anywho, let's go get you and your lovely girl married."

James snorts and says, "And how do I explain to the love of my life that my pretend fiancé will be the one officiating the marriage?"

"Just leave that to me," Izo cheerfully said, before grabbing James by the shoulder and appearing in the apartment of Jane Katz who is eating tiny sauces.

Jane chokes as Izo releases her hold on James's shoulder and extends her hand out to be shaken. "I'm Izo Reed, your husband's fake fiancée for this year. Now ignoring that fact, I am here to marry you, so that your child will not be born out of wedlock and be protected by family name," Izo confidently stated.

Jane with incredulity stares at James as if asking if this was all a joke. James shrugs apologetically at Jane who calmly adjusts her glasses. Jane Katz was not one to panic and calmly takes Izo by the hand and firmly shakes it.

"I see, but I am a bit confused by the situation," Jane quietly replied back.

Izo quickly takes a seat at the table and says, "Please let me explain Jane. Is it alright if I call you Jane?"

Jane nods as she sits back down while James sits next to his beloved lover. Izo shamelessly takes a tasty mini sausage and munches on it. "Ah, yes, the wonderful joys of meat. Anyhow, let me get back to the subject at hand. How much do you know about the Duke family?" Izo asked.

Jane quietly says, "I know who they are and the reason they hate demi.'s such as myself."

"Well, my parents are the head of the Lee family, the direct and only rivals to the Duke family. James and I have plotted since yesterday, but we had yet to finalize the details, that's why he had yet to say anything to you.

However, this is the deal, James will work as a part-timer for me and guarding a certain place for me, while still being paid in gold for his working hours. In exchange, I will give my name and we will pretend to be fake fiancés for a year to comply with the wishes of our grandfathers. That being said I will officiate your marriage today to protect your child. Once the truth comes out, James without a doubt will be disowned, but James, you, your child and your family will be protected by my family, the Lee family," Izo matter-of-factly stated.

Jane perks up and carefully asked, "That is an interesting proposal, but how do I know you won't go back on your word?"

Izo drily replies, "Trust me, James is not my type."

Jane relaxes at the reply another woman could always tell one a woman was into her man. This one wasn't the least bit interested in him. And was the exact answer she had been hoping to hear.

Jane is rather quiet in thought and finally says, "That's wonderful, and I think it's a good idea. But I am a question, Miss Reed, are you still hiring for Marchen Inc.?"

Izo's gaze brightens at the question as James's face darkens. "I am always looking for talented workers, is there a job position you are interested in?" Izo asked.

"I heard that the Marchen Inc. was searching for herbalists to work with the alchemists, is that still true?" Jane asked.

"Of course, I am releasing a mass of new potions into the market and the alchemists are overwhelmed and currently overworked. You wouldn't happen to know anyone else interested in the position?" Izo asked with a gleam in her eyes.

Jane's black cat ears perk up as her cat tail happily twitches behind her. "Yes, I do, there are several women from my personal group of friends retiring from being adventurers due to the hectic schedule. Most are retiring because of their families and are searing for regular work hour positions. But most places aren't willing to hire adventurer's due to their lack of degrees," Jane honestly replied.

"That's not a problem as you can vouch for their integrity and the alchemists can be confirmed their skills, they are hired. And Marchen Inc. offers excellent benefits including employee discounts and maternity leave," Izo pointedly declared.

Jane's cat tail waves happily in the air as James's face becomes sullen. Jane happily says, "In that case, I'll start Monday, if possible."

"Not a problem, I'll give notice to my managers, Flora Fauna and Thomas Vladimir. They're both excellent people," Izo commented as she texts her poor overworked managers that a new employee and several others would start on Monday.

Back in the vault, Flora Fauna receives the text message and darkly mutters things under her breath. Thomas on the other hand, rather loudly curses the owner until Flora glares at him. In which case, Thomas switches over to cursing the boss in his mind. It wasn't like the boss could hear him, right?