ix. the junkyard

CHAPTER NINE:THE JUNKYARD

CHAPTER NINE:
THE JUNKYARD

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

   LIZ HAS HAD many strange things happen in her life ever since the fall of 1983, but she never thought that she would have to leave a trail of red meat for a baby Demogorgon to follow. The three of them, Dustin, Steve and Liz, all carried a white bucket in their hands filled to the brim with red meat. The trio casually walked along the the rusted, old railroad tracks, that were covered in leaves and rocks, that hadn't been used in years. Every few steps, one of them would grab a clump of the raw meat in their hands and toss it onto the tracks until the reached their destination of the old junkyard. Liz and Dustin both remembered it, since that was where they went when the people at Hawkins Lab were after them for having Eleven.

"All right, so let me get this straight." Steve starts, throwing down a clump of red meat onto the leave covered tracks. "You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who... who you just met?"

"All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve questions. Liz sighs as she thinks about the girl that they're talking about. She didn't think that Steve knew that Dustin was talking about Max, he probably thought Dustin was talking about someone else. Liz, however, knew that she had no chance against Dustin when it came to Max possibly liking one of them.

"An interdimensional slug? Because it's awesome!"

"Well, even if she thought it was cool—which, she didn't... I just..." Steve sighs. "I don't know—I just feel like you're trying way too hard."

"Well, not everyone can have the Harrington family's perfect hair, all right?" Dustin says, motioning to both Steve and Liz.

   "It's not about the hair, man," Steve responded. "The key with girls is just... just acting like you don't care."

Liz looks up from the ground and throws a small pile of meat on the ground before sighing at what Steve said and whispering to herself, "You've got to be kidding me."

"Even if you do?" Dustin asks.

"Yeah, exactly. It drives 'em nuts." Steve says, making Liz roll her eyes.

"Then what?"

"You just wait until, uh... until you feel it." Steve answers, throwing a chunk of meat over Liz's head to which she glares at him for. He just winks at her as if to tell her to listen to what they're talking about. As if their conversation could help Liz in any way. She had already felt what Steve was talking about, the day that she first laid eyes on Max.