viii. the bat with the nails

CHAPTER EIGHT:THE BAT WITH THE NAILS

CHAPTER EIGHT:
THE BAT WITH THE NAILS

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THE NEXT DAY was spent with Liz hearing Steve pace in his bedroom for hours. She knew it was probably about Nancy since when she walked by his door, she heard him mutter things about apologizing. Liz had spent the majority of her Saturday morning and mid-afternoon just doing her homework or watching TV. She was starting to worry about her brother as she hadn't seen him come out of his room at all that day.

   Eventually, just as she was starting her math homework, she heard her brother come running down the stairs. The first words that came out of his mouth, were one of the last that Liz thought she would ever hear from her brother, "I need your help with something."

   Liz raised an eyebrow, and set down her pencil, "Help with what?"

   "I'll explain on the way," Steve starts, as he grabs his keys and opens the front door, holding it open. "Can you just come with me... please?"

   Liz sighs before closing her math book, and following Steve out the door. She gets into the passenger seat of his car while gets in the drivers. Liz's seat vibrates slightly as Steve starts his car. The radio comes to life, spewing radio music from the speakers. Liz reaches over, and turns the knob that control the volume of the radio. As soon as she lets go of the knob, Steve turns it back down, giving her a look. She rolls her eyes, and obeys, letting Steve control the volume.

   They drive through the streets of Hawkins, finally stopping at a grocery store. The parking lot was fairly full considering it was Saturday, and people were off of work. The two Harrington siblings get out of the car, and walk across the parking lot to the store entrance. Liz smiles as she walks through the entrance, remembering when she saw it after Eleven smashed it to pieces. She followed Steve as he headed straight to a display full of flowers. Liz sighed, and immediately knew this was about Nancy.

   "Okay, which ones do you think Nancy will like?" Steve questions his sister, as he rests his chin on his closed fist. Liz glances over the many flowers, ranging from a dark red to a bright yellow, and roses to carnations. Her eyes stopped on a small bundle of red roses. Liz reaches her arm out, and grabs them. She smiles and puts her nose in them, sighing in content as the smell of the roses cloud her senses.

   "These ones." Liz states, handing them to Steve. Steve takes them, and twirls them in his hands before smiling at his sister.

   "You're sure these are the ones?" Steve asks, hesitation in his voice. "Because... the yellow lily's are-"

   "No." Liz  states without hesitation.