It's Quiet Uptown

{Requested}
(Hamilton AU)

        As soon as Keith heard the news, his heart almost stopped. The world around him seemed to pause as his brain buzzed with fear, anxiety, and loss. From his office in his house, he was running to the Red Cross. He pushed through crowds of people, not caring that they yelled at him or called him names. Hot tears streaming down his face and his ragged breathes turning into ugly sobs.

    He didn't care that he cried.

    Because anyone... anyone would cry if their own child's life was at stake.

      He pushed the door open, it caused a loud bang once it made contact with the wall. The sight before him made him weaker, if it was possible.

      His oldest son whom was only seventeen, was laying in a pool of crimson. His eyes were fluttered shut and his face was draining color by the minute.

     "Mr. Kogane, come in, they brought him in a half an hour ago, he lost a lot of blood on the way over"

      The doctor ushered him in and closed the door behind Keith.

"Is he alive?" Keith asked, his stormy eyes darting left and right at his son.

"Yes, but you have to understand
The bullet entered just above his hip and lodged in his right arm."

"Can I see him please?"

"I’m doing everything I can but the wound was already infected when he arrived."

"{Son's name}!"

"Pa!" The {H/C} haired boy croaked out, a bead of blood tricking down his chin from his mouth.

"I did exactly as you said, Pa
I held my head up high." He smiled proudly as if he wasn't dying. His violet eyes seemed to shine despite the agonizing pain in his side.

"I know, I know, shh
I know, I know, shh.
I know you did everything just right, shh." Keith sniffled and held his hand biting his lip to stop it from quivering.

"Even before we got to ten
I was aiming for the sky....
I was aiming for the sky." His grip on Keith's hand grew weaker with every passing moment.

"I know, save your strength and stay alive!" Keith hushed his son, he didn't want to loose him, he didn't want to loose another part of his family.... not again.

"___________!" Keith's wife, mother of their children, rushed in, her face already damp with tears. She was huffing and sobbing just like Keith, which made his heart break even more.

"Is he breathing, is he going to survive this?
Who did this, Keith, did you know?" She clutched his shoulder tightly and looked into his eyes, he gazed up at her and saw her orbs striken with fear, a storm brewing in those usually calm {E/C} pools.

"Mom, I’m so sorry for forgetting what you taught me." {Son's Name} spoke up, his voice barely above a whisper.

"My son" _________ leaned down and rested the palm of her hand on his forehead, moving the strands of his messy {H/C} hair out of the way from his sleepy hues.

"We played piano" He smiled, recalling the memory.

"I taught you piano" She smiled sadly as another teardrop landed on her sons shoulder.

"You would put your hands on mine"

"You changed the melody every time" the young boy chuckled out a small breath. 

"I would always change the line"

"Shh, I know, I know"

"I would always change the line"

"I know, I know"

"Un-deux-trois-quatre-cinq-six-sept-huit-neuf~" __________'s voice rang out like a melody, even through her sobbing she sounded as beautiful as ever.

    "un-deux-trois-quatre-cinq-six-sept-huit-neuf" {Son's Name} sang out in the same melody, his vocal cords unfazed by the gushing wound.

"Good" _________'s voice slightly cracked and sucked in a breath to sing the next part, her hand sliding down the side of his face to cup his cheek.

"Un-deux-trois-quatre-cinq-six-sept-huit-neuf..."

"un-deux-trois" {Son's Name} went quiet, unable to finish the last of the lines, his face was as pale as the snow, his eyes that were full of life merely ten seconds ago, fluttered closed again, one last breath escaping his chapped dry lips. His grip on Keith's hand completely limp and his skin went cold.

"Sept-huit-neuf..." __________ paused for a moment, looking at her son, expecting him to finish the last line of the melody. Her face drained of any color, hope dripping away.

"...Sept-huit..." She finished in a whisper, she sucked in a sharp breath before screaming out in pain. Clutching her lifeless son in her arms, burying her head on his chest. She ignored the blood that stained her dress, heavy sobs raked her whole body.