P O E M

F A U S T

"Good afternoon, master Ryder." Chauncey greets me as he opens the front door.

"Hello." I smile and walk inside, it's empty. Sydney and Vanessa are out shopping and doing some mother-daughter bonding before Syd leaves for a week. "You can go home early today, Chauncey."

"Are you sure, sir?"

"Yes, go ahead. Tell your wife I said hello."

"I will, thank you."

"You're welcome." He bows and exits the house, leaving only myself left. I kick off my shoes and walk upstairs. I notice Vanessa left her door open and her fan on. I walk in, to shut it off, when something catches my eye. I waltz over to her desk, to find a notebook on it. The word: Thoughts, is engraved on the cover.

Becoming curious, I flip to he most recent page--which was yesterday. The title reads: Strawberry Chapstick. Puzzled, I bite my lip and read the page.

Strawberry Chapstick,
I could taste his lips on mine as I swept the chapstick against my lips
I pretend his lips are the chapstick, coating my dehydrated lips in the sweet drip of his refreshing strawberry drizzle
How baldly I wished he would've kissed me then
I imaging his lips to be as soft and smooth as you, dear chapstick, and tasting of your strawberry scent
I long for his touch upon my skin, changing my colors like leaves when the autumn air sweeps through
Every feeling I feel is wrong, I know this
My lust for him is forbidden and would send such a shock amongst those who know us
But I don't care
I'd do anything to be able to lie my head upon his chest, his heartbeat thudding softly in my ear, telling me how much it loved me
Oh, Faust, if only I could just tell you how I felt
If only you hadn't married my mother, but married me instead, then this would be easier
Yet, this love is unrequited
And as painful as it is to say it, I know you'll never feel the same...

I sit there, on her bed, reading the poem over and over. The smirk on my face growing more and more with each look over.

Darling, if you only knew I want you too....

*
*

V A N E S S A

I scramble in my room, turning the whole place upside down.

Where is it?! Where is it?!

Panic covers my whole body like a second layer of skin as I frantically search for my notebook.

"Looking for something?" Faust's voice came from behind. I find him standing in my door frame, hands behind his back.

"Oh, I'm just looking for something for one of my classes." I lie, not wanting to tell him I lost my journal where I had written about him.

"You mean this?" A smirk covers his face like a mask, as my heart stops beating. In his hands, he holds my notebook, the one I've been searching for.

"Um, y-yea." I swallow hard, trying to keep cool and collected.

"You have a talent for writing, Vanessa." He shuts the door behind him, my heart running around in my body, not knowing what to do.

"I um...." Speechless, I could do nothing but fumble my shaking hands and look down.

"Vanessa, whatever feelings that you have for me," he pauses, tilting my head up by my chin with his soft fingers, "I feel them too...." He whispers, and a small gasp leaves my lips.