Chapter 78: Finally, Revenge! For Them, At Least

After that whole punching parade was done, the men lay on the ground. They didn't get up for a while, and the "Captain Renard" didn't let Father or Thérèse use magic on them. They weren't even allowed to use magic on themselves, and they had plenty of mages.

So, we left them, uneasily, as we were dragged off somewhere else by the captain. The rat followed, of course, staying at least twenty feet behind and directly taking control of whatever the man said. I didn't make it obvious at all that I was glaring at him, passing it off as me with sleepy eyes.

"Have you seen our horses? I bet your daughter would love such fine thoroughbreds, unlike any other! First Knight Squadron of the Church, best in the kingdom!" He gave a hearty, dazed laugh and continued on.

Father was a bit shaken inside, having witnessed such a scene and then have someone brag about the horses.

"Captain Renard, might we return to the tent and discuss the Demon running around?"

The captain was still bellowing to himself, being made to act like a fool as the rat giggled to himself, twitching his finger to command his doll around.

Father seemed a bit concerned at such behavior, so I told him over the telepathy line that he was being mind controlled.

By who? he asked, eyes sharpening.

     Behind us, there's a creep. That's the guy. Fathe discreetly turned around as if to "check" on Thérèse and me, eyes flickering back to the rat before he turned around again.

The rat seemed flustered that he was spotted, ducking into the shadow of another tent. He wasn't very good at camouflage in the first place, so I don't know why he was so jumpy.

     Can you break it?

     Yes, but...I have plans for him, so I won't. Not yet, at least.

Father stopped walking and looked back at me, disbelieving. Firea, there's a gigantic Demon wandering around our home. Why will you not break it? Father sounded absolutely shocked that I gave him such an answer.

Because it's Knight's turn. She'll be in action in about, oh, thirty minutes?

Ridiculous...

Hey, not my fault.

And so, Thérèse dropped me off in between some empty tents because I told her I had something to do, and then continued on behind Father faithfully.

The skinny rat passed by my hiding place, staggering in a crazed manner after the captain and my family.

There, I enacted on of the Skills I saw I had since meeting Teria.

"[Double]."

I'd never used it before, even though all the others I'd activated subconsciously and pushed away the pop up screen.

Now, I would use it.

I imagined what I wanted to happen, and...

Poof! Next to me appeared a mirror image of my current self, one I could command at will or leave a sliver of consciousness in.

But that's not what I did.

     Kaya, I'm counting on you. Be a good little Firea, okay? I smiled teasingly as the sliver of my soul transferred over to the body double.

     Please, she rolled her eyes. I bet I can do you, better than you. I am a better you than you.

As long as I'm not made into a fool like a certain ditzy captain over there. And not only was that statement very harsh to me, I'm pretty sure it's an insult to be good at being me.