Ch VIII. The Fall Of Babarus (Continued)

"Sir, as I said just now, we can't go close to that asteroid field. We are practically blind in there."

"I am not interested in excuses Commander! You will carry out this order or I will have to report to HQ that you are unwilling to carry out orders. I doubt they will like what I have to tell them."

Price had been on the horn with the Rear-Admiral for the past fifteen minutes. In that time he tried to advise on the best place for Invictus to take station. For some reason he couldn't get through. The man thought him an unwilling coward and didn't take him seriously. He had no choice but to say yes and carry out the orders in the best way possible. Frustrated he slammed the phone down in the horn-nest. "No luck with him?"

"Indeed Mark, I just can't get through that thick skull of his. Just what we need, an Admiral with a stick up his ass."

"We'll see how this turns out. Are we the only one in that specific sector?"

"No, there'll be several ships nearby. But I am not sure if they will come to our aid if we ask them to."

"Only one way to find out."

"I'm afraid you're right. Well, no sense in sitting still. XO, set a course to the asteroid field on the east-south-east corner of the system. It'll take a couple of hours to get there. Have the pilots and gun crews in their racks. Let them rest a bit while they can."

"Come to think of it. You've been holed up here for almost twelve hours. Maybe it's time you catch a few hours rack time."

"That does sound awfully nice. Can you take care of things here?"

"Aye sir. I'll let you know when we get close to the new AO." Price nodded and walked away to his cabin. When he looked back through the CIC hatch he saw his friend relaying his orders. He knew he would not fail him, but nevertheless he always looked back through the hatch. He never knew why. Maybe it was just an old bad habit.

He turned a few corners and bulkheads before he got to his cabin. He had barely sat down when he heard knocking on the hatch. He unbuttoned his jacket a bit before answering.

"Come in."

The young Imperial Lieutenant stepped through the hatch and walked to the desk before snapping at attention. "Stand easy Lieutenant. How can I help you."

Deamus relaxed his stance and handed the Commander a datapad. "The recognition data on known ships you asked for."

"Ah yes, thankyou. I'll make sure the right people get these in a few hours." he paused for a moment before continuing: "But I guess this isn't the only reason you stepped to my cabin."

"No sir. Permission to speak freely?"

Price nodded "Pull up a chair." he said before picking two glasses and a bottle from his desk. He poured whiskey in the glasses and offered Deamus one, which he accepted.

"What can I do for you?"

"I don't know really how to put it..." he started.

"Just speak your mind Deamus"

"It's Colonel Howard, Sir. I have the distinct feeling he seems to disagree with me."

"How is that?"

"He is keeping me in his eye constantly. His expression isn't always that kind either."

"Howard has always been a bit intimidating. Nothing to worry about."

"I know sir, but this isn't like that. More severe. I didn't really realise it at first, but when the navigator snapped, what was his name again?"

"Specialist Tandor."