Act 1 Scene 2

The setting of this scene is in A camp near Forres

In this scene we meet new characters. Duncan, Malcolm, Donalbain and Lennox. they meet and are told of the viscous battle between Scotland's forces and the invading forces from Ireland (Macdonwald and his armies ) as well as the battle between Norway and Cawdor

During their conversation we learn of Macbeths bravery in battle. Macbeth shows himself to a brutal warrior willing to do anything for his country and his king. No man could stand against Macbeth for he was brutal in battle, No one could stop him "but alls too weak "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

key quote 1

"For brave Macbeth - well he deserves that name - Disdaining fortune, with his ,Which smoked with bloody execution,"

-Sargent

This quote shows us that Macbeth is a brutal merciless warrior, fighting for king and country. This is also the introduction to Macbeth's violent nature.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is at this point where Ross enters the scene. Here he tells us of the "Thane of Cawdor". We learn from Ross that the Thane of Cawdor has become a traitor, helped the Norwegian cause but has been captured.

On description of the battle between Macbeth and Cawdor, Ross states Macbeth "Confronted him with self-comparisons". This reference suggests that Macbeth and Cawdor were an equal match for each other but there is also a hint of irony as it may suggest that Macbeth may also become a traitor.

This is the point where in this complicated King Duncan Macbeth's cousin informs the others present that he will be making Macbeth the new "Thane Of Cawdor". Duncan ends his speech with " What he hath lost noble Macbeth hath won "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key Quote 2

No more that Thane of Cawdor shall devieve, Our bosom interest. Go pronounce his present death

-Duncan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a lot of blood imagery to be found throughout the entirety of this scene

--> "What bloody man is that"

--> "smoked with bloody execution"

--> "unseamed him from nave to th'chaps"

These references to blood and slaughter can be looked at in a certain number of ways

1. It shows Macbeths bravery and the hardships of battle.

2. It also sets the tone for Scotland for when Macbeth usurps Duncan.

There will be many examples of "Blood Imagery" to be found throughout the entirety of this play and they will all link back to one person "Macbeth". Everything in this play has some connection to Macbeth be it only minuscule , It is all connected.