Chiharu's sadness and Chihiro's reasons

Chapter 8- Chiharu’s sadness and Chihiro’s reasons

    Yesterday was an awkward situation to be in since I’m not really good in interacting with people. I got to know that her name is Chiharu though. Originally, she didn’t know her family name but when Kuriyama Sensei adopted her, she made it to Kuriyama Chiharu.

    Such a kawaii name. And it matched Chihiro too. Well, should I not call that fate? Or maybe coincidence. They were childhood friends. Close ones. Chihiro met her when they were 8 years old.

    Chiharu was brought in by an adoption house and they met when she was trying to catch her flying tennis ball. Chihiro saved her from getting hit by a car and she was indebted to him. But when they were 15, they had to separate and both of them went to enter different high schools.

    They had a fight before Chiharu left Kyoto but she wouldn’t tell me why. And today I woke up feeling the extreme laziness to get up and go to school. After sending Yukina to school, I walked casually since it’s still early and it seems that Yukina did find some friends at school given that she’s always excited.

    “You weren’t supposed to be here !” a voice said. I stopped just as I was about to turn to a corner and peeked.

    Chiharu and Chihiro! They were standing, facing each other.

    “It’s my choice to be where I want! Besides, it’s mother’s choice for me to live here! You have no rights to complaint !” Chiharu yelled, fists clenched.

    Chihiro tch-ed. “You know, it wasn’t a mistake to let you go !” then he walked away.

    Chiharu frowned at that. “And it wasn’t a mistake to actually leave you !” she shouted but Chihiro didn’t turn to acknowledge what she was saying. I blinked, still surprised by that scene.

    Chiharu stood there, sobbing. I approached her, not knowing whether this is a good choice or the other way around. “Chiharu ?” I spoke. She turned to me, her face and eyes red, results of the cries just now.

    Without saying anything, she hugged me almost immediately and with that huge momentum she has, I almost stumbled backwards but managed to regain my balance. I patted her back. She sobbed harder as she buried her face onto my shoulder.

­    “It was a few days after graduation from middle school. We were dating but then one day, Chihiro said ‘I think it would be better for us to depart’. I was broken, really really broken. I don’t know why he was saying that but it doesn’t make sense !” Chiharu explained.

    I nodded.

    “I was mad and told mother to transfer to Tokyo, not wanting to be in the same place where he is breathing. I wanna be far away from him. It’s been a long time and I hardly could forget him. But I didn’t really care when mom told me to transfer back to Kyoto.

    “I didn’t have the slightest idea of his whereabouts. Mom said I’m going to Rakuzan and it was my first day when I met you in the library that I met him. He didn’t smile, he didn’t hug me, he didn’t cry when he see me. He just mad at me and.... and now, he just left me like that !?” she bit her lower lip when she finished.

    “What was he like before this ?” I asked.

    “Cheerful, childish, bad at both sports and academics but I still love his funny jokes and he cares about other people. He often skipped classes to sit under the tree outside the school building. I don’t even know how he managed to get in Rakuzan .”

    Sit under the tree. Yeah. And look at someone’s underwear, I might add. “He’s bad in sports ?” I questioned.

    Chiharu nodded. “He always wanted to play basketball but always ended up getting laughed at. He never showed his emotions during the days, he just like to smile and smile and smile .”