Caregiver | Part 1

(A/N: Enjoy reading! 😊)

It was early in the morning, and you woke up early as well to prepare breakfast for your family. Your family in the house consist your parents, your brother and his three years old daughter, and you. It's always been your duty to make breakfast for them every morning.

The first person who wakes up early after you is your brother, since he had to go out for work. You smiled the moment he kissed the back of your head. "Breakfast is ready." You said, and he pulled the empty chair near him.

"Thanks, sis." He chimed, and start enjoying the morning dishes. You welcomed him, shaking your head a little along with a small laugh. You loved your brother as much as you love the rest of your family members.

"Where's Dami?" You asked about your niece, as you served the hot coffee before him. He merely took it and sipped. Then he put it back on the table.

"She's still sleeping. And my phone almost ran out battery because she played with it last night. Guess I have to bring along my charger." He complained, and you snort a small laugh.

"You should have telling her bedtime stories, Seowon. It's part of your job as a father. Not your smartphone."

"I am aware of that. It's just... I still don't know how to do it right. I'm worried that she might have nightmare instead–"

"Seowon!"

You smacked his arm as he having his great laugh, and then a few seconds later he became calm again. And another few seconds later, the smile on his face was gone. He stared at the half empty plate melancholy.

"If only Yumi was still here, she knows what to do."

Mentioning the name of his late wife, your happy mood also changed, grieving inside over your late sister-in-law. She's like your best friend ever since your brother Seowon introduced her to your family and you missed having her around. But you knew Seowon misses her even more than you do.

You shaking off the thoughts of your late sister-in-law and tried to do same with your brother as you don't want him to be unfocused at work either.

"Hey, I tell you what, when you get back from work make sure to stop at a bookstore and buy a bedtime storybook before you head home." You suggested, since that's the best idea you could think of.

"Uh huh. Why don't you do it instead? I'm not really good at storytelling."

You clicked your tongue in disagreement. "Lee Seowon, you know I would love to, but it's not my job. So you better do something or else I will brainwash her by leaving a reminder that you're unreliable."

He laughed nonchalantly. "No you wouldn't."

You gave him that kind of look, deeply staring into his soul like your mom always did when you're a little. Feeling intimidated by your death glare, he rolled his eyes away, forcing himself to nod.

"Fine. I'll try."

Your lips tugged upward as you cheered at your own victory. "Good! Then I have nothing to worry about." You chimed, washing the plate and the empty cup that your brother used.

"Whatever. I gotta go. And I promised Dami that you will take her out to the playground today, so, if you ever walking pass the candy shop don't forget to buy one– two chocolate bars for me and Dami, okay?"

You plucked your finger with an eagerness to tell him a news, following your gaze as he made his way to the sink to wash his hands.

"Ah yes, about that. I'm afraid I can't."