12. Family Game Night.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."

- Helen Keller

************************************************

A couple of days had passed since the day at the warehouse, and I've been avoiding Axel like the black plague hence. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't constantly on edge everywhere I went. I've been waking up with nightmares the past four nights over the past events. And to top it off I'm practically walking on eggshells around Rylan. I want to tell him everything that happened, but Axel said to keep my mouth shut.

Axel as continuously tried to talk to me but I somehow always find a way to evade him. I could tell he was growing annoyed with my constant diversions because he's always sending glares at my direction whenever do we manage to be in the same room, or knocking on my door, that I now kept locked. And don't get me started on the text messages.

He also refuses to teach me how to fight until and I quote "love myself." Which is oddly poetic for someone like Axel, who is a freaking gang leader and all. I still can't believe it, but at the same time, I can. I knew when I first saw Axel he was nothing but trouble, I just didn't know it would be this much trouble. Camila has made herself extremely scarce for the last week, I haven't seen her around the house much, I talked to Angelo about it and he said she's been stay with her friend. Something about that didn't settle right with me, but I didn't say anything.

I wonder what Angelo would say if he knew who his sister's boyfriend really was?

Camila had been in school but you'd never noticed, the girl that was once a fiery red girl was now a deeper, darker, a sadder shade of red. I remember the beginning of the week she was furious at me, sending death stares from across the gym floor but as the week progressed she only looked at me with dull eyes.

I got up from my bed and walked over to the mirror that hung on the sliding doors of the closet. Axel's words kept haunting me, I couldn't help but think maybe he was right, even though I would never admit it out loud.

For the last four days, I've been standing in front of my mirror topless, staring out myself. And when I could finally look at myself without tears threatening to spill out my eyes I was only left feeling anger and frustration. I definitely didn't love myself, I'm not sure if I ever fully could, however, I wasn't as repulsed with my body as I was before.

My fingertips grazed the smooth scar that runs up the side of my stomach, it was at least three inches long. I winced and pushed the memories out of my head. I hated the hold my past had on me, letting me know it wasn't dead every chance it got.

"Mia, are you in there?" Rylan's voice asked. "We need to talk." He said sternly, knocking on the door.

I quickly put my hoodie back over my body and unlocked my door, opening it to come face to face with Rylan. He was standing in front of me with determination written on his face. I watched as walked into my room, not once taking his eyes off me.

"You need to tell me what's going on." He said sharply.

"Camila hasn't been home in days, and when she is here it's only for a few hours until she's gone again. You've locked yourself in this room, not bothering to come out unless it's for school. And Axel has been antsy and I've never seen Axel antsy."

I've never seen this side of Rylan, he was usually so carefree, comedic and relaxed but you would have never guessed looking at him now.

"I can't," I whispered, looking at the wooden floor.