16. Midnight memories

There was a sky full of stars above them, and...
He was still looking at her.

-The Golden Girl
************************************

"You didn't pick up my calls, why?" Faye was taken aback when she heard his rough voice, her eyes looking at everything but him.

Yes, she didn't pick up his calls. No, not because she couldn't, not because she didn't want to...

But because she had a valid reason. A valid reason for her to be angry at him, to be irritated with him.

"Faye, I am asking something. You. Didn't. Pick. Up. My. Calls. Why?" He demanded, his anger taking the best of him.

"Because I didn't want to." She bluntly replied before walking to her bed, her eyes too tired.

"And why didn't you want to?" He asked, rising his eyebrows, questioning her.

"Because... well, I didn't want to." Her voice didn't have any emotion. She was blunt and dry and blank.

Somewhere, it was like testing River's patience. Somewhere, it was like challenging him, pissing him off.

He glared, his eyes looking at her as he constantly tapped on the floor.

"Fine. You wanna know why I didn't pick up? Because I was pissed, because I was so so so fucking pissed at you Blake. Too pissed. I didn't reply to your messages because I was angry, I wanted to just kill you. I just never wanted to see you, I wanted to erase your existence." She bursted out, flaring with anger.

She was practically shaking, her hands on both side of her face, her voice heavy.

He gulped. Breaking his stare, he shifted his gaze on the tiled floor, trying to escape from her sight.

He didn't need to ask about the reason. He knew, he already knew the reason. The cause of her temper, the cause of her burning gaze.

"Why? Why did you fucking tell him to stay away from me, River? Ha? Answer me, why did you tell Justin to stay from me?" She was standing in front of River now, hitting his chest, anger spilling through her orbs.

He refused to say something as he felt her just inches away from him. He was silent, the words in the tip of his tongue. He didn't say anything and held her hands that were going to hit him, once again.

They stood their for minutes, River waiting for Faye to calm down so that he could tell the real reason behind him planning out all this.

No, no he wasn't too proud of himself, he didn't want to do anything with Justin. But well, let just say, Faye's and Justin's increasing intensity made him do that. Trust me, he regret it more than anything.

"Talking with you seems useless." And she let her hands fall by her side.

He stood there for some seconds, being the victim of her burning gaze. And then, he finally managed to look at her.

"I... I am sorry." And he meant it.

"I don't need your apology, Blake. Tell me the reason, the reason behind you threatening Justin." She said, the glare never leaving her face.

"I was worried alright. I was worried about you. I didn't trust that guy, I just don't. And I don't trust any guy with you. I told him to just stay a little away from you, I didn't threaten him or something. Why will I fucking even do that? I was just..." "Worried. I don't want to see you get hurt... again." And he dropped his gaze.